Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to use an S10 frame under my Stude truck. I've read that for this truck a long bed S10 is best... was at the junk yard today and looked at a number of S10 frames and it looks like the frame is basically in two pieces and the rear piece slides into the front piece... the rear piece is slid in a certain amount depending on whether it is a long bed, extended cab, or regular cab... is it possible to release the factory welds here and slide the frame pieces to the desired length for my project and then reweld. If this is possible a regular cab would work. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
yeah they do seem to be slid together and welded

i dont know how much extra length there is where they slide together

thats the unknown variable here

one way to check is to take a small drill bit and drill a few spots along where they slide together and check how far they double up

i could take some pics under my '91 s-10 if you need any

they are all the same chassies from '82-late '90s or early 2000s

the body changed in 94 though

·
Registered
19 Posts
i know S10 frames front to back and top to bottom, and the frames arent really "slid" into each other. There done like that for support and frame stiffening. The factory did it for a reason, and if you plan on driving the truck, i would definitely NOT screw with it like youd like to. My advice is to grab one of those frames, and if your that hard up for a little extra length, go grab another back section off another s10 and cut it and use the area behind the axle to lengthen the rear of the frame. Unless, you need some room in the center. Then thats a different story.

If you do choose to go with the S10 frame, let me know, and i can give you a million ways to mod it and a million different companies names and contacts info to help you along with your build. good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.