Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searching here and it looks like everybody is trying to plug or reroute the hoses. Sorry if it gets repeated.

I installed a Vintage Air a/c with a heater system, heater control valve and would like to keep the heater core (it does get somewhat cold in Bakersfield :). The plan is to replace my old 350 with an almost completed 383.

I bought an aluminum long style water pump from Powerhouse here and it has only one big outlet for coolant (lower inlet from the radiator). My old water pump had 2 lines.

Should I return the pump back and get the one with 2 lines? Or can I route one heater hose from the water outlet on the front passenger side of Edelbrock RPM intake and the return heater hose back to the intake inlet (by the t-stat) on the front as well? There are two 1/2" water holes there now. There is another 1/2" water hole on the back of the intake. Should I use that for a return hose?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Denis
'67 Camaro RS

·
Registered
570 Posts
Just me probably,but if you can take it back with any good excuse,do it,unless of course this is a race car and every oz counts,you paid a lot of doe for a corrosion prone unit. Also,be sure to buy a pre serpentine belt unit as some of them are intended to spin the opposite direction.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, rifraf! Returning a part with Powerhouse is not an issue. These guys are great. I was surprised to see only 1 water neck. I will get a stock Napa unit with clockwise rotation of the shaft. Would you say a pump for a 1973-80 Chevy truck?

Denis

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yea,that would work good I think,unless you are set up for the short one,then scope out like a 70 or so,sounds like you got the long one on purpose though.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I had a problem with short water pump not clearing my aluminum timing cover, also all my pulleys and brackets were for the LWP.

I exchanged that 'racing' water pump for a cast iron one which features two outlets.

Again, thanks for help!
Denis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts