Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide how to replace the goop the factory placed between the quarter panel skin and the inner structure in a couple of spots presumable to prevent flutter and vibration in the panel. It looks like they used regular seam sealer for the job. But that hardened over time and let go making it pretty much useless. I'm aware of the 3M flexible foam catridges, but I'd really rather not spend nearly $100 for a blob of foam the size of a quarter. Are they any alternatives? (The under side of the panels are painted with epoxy primer.)

Whatever the solution turns out to be needs to have sufficient working time to allow the panel to be positioned and secured. I'm tempted to use urethane flexible seam sealer. But I've seen reports that the urethane seam sealer and epoxy primer don't always get along.

Ideas?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Seam sealer is what we always use in the body shop. That stuff is going to be buried, so it will probably never see daylight again.
Whatever you do, use something squishy while its wet. The last thing you want is product under there making a high spot on your new panel.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I've decided to just use flexible urethane seam sealer. Looks like the best option. The gaps are only about 3/8". Also going to put some sound deadening panels in there while I still have access. (Project is 2nd gen F-body TransAm.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts