Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 1989 911 Carrera that has a shifter issue. At first I thought it needed adjustment between the shifter and the transmission but after looking at it a second time, I think it's just the shifter stick that is the issue. The stick will rotate about 90 degrees in either direction - freely - which after the 1-2 shift makes it real interesting finding the next gear.

I'm going to dig into this one on Friday but I'm wondering if there is a loose nut that holds it or maybe a pinned shaft setup?

Any help appreciated. I don't get to work on these too much.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
There are 3 places where your 911 shifter can get screwed up. First, if you pull the boot back from the shifter and carpet , unbolt it and lift it up out of the shift rod you will see a plastic round cup on the end of the shifter. If it is broken, replace it. While you have the shifter out, examine the yoke that supports the shifter rod that runs to the rear of the car. There is a plastic bushing in the 90 degree yoke that supports the shift rod. If it is worn or broken, replace it.

Lastly, there is a cover at the rear of the tunnel. Remove it and inspect the u-joint. Rotate it back and forth to make sure the 2 plastic bushings in it are not broken. If you have to remove this u-joint, Mark the joint and the shaft so that you can put it back where Hans originally had it. Your 911 should now **** as it once did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.