Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering one of their bodies (actually a race shell) for my street rod project. Not worried about it being a perfectly flawless part, as I am going to be doing a LOT of modifications, but I want to start with something decent.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I don't think Rod And Race has any association with Gibbons, Gibbons is in N. Carolina, [maybe south],, I have never used any of their products, but have heard of them,, so I can;t comment,,, I can comment on Rats Glass tho,, with some bad experance, no need for futher comment,,,
What kind Car are you planning on building?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bad Rat said:
...What kind Car are you planning on building?
I am leaning towards their 28-29 Ford roadster race body. I am building a street car but wanted to start with a one-piece shell. The price is right at $1000, but I was hoping to get some feedback on the quality of their parts. They are only a couple hundred miles from me, so I might have to take a day off to go see for myself.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Go see for yourself. Race weight shells are very light stuff and would require a bunch of work to survive on the street unless you're just piddling around on weekends during the summer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It won't be race weight when I finish. I am starting with the one-piece race shell, instead of a conventional street body with doors and trunk) because I am doing so many modifications. The cockpit area will be moved, the door shape and location changed, the whole body will be tapered and wedge-sectioned (shorter & narrower at the firewall), etc, etc. The fiberglass will be thicker and also double-walled (integrated interior) with a foam-core when finished, so it will be really strong and street-ready. The shell just gives me the basic lines and contour of the Ford body as a foundation to build on. I could build from scratch, but it would cost me as much as the race body to do it; and require a whole lot more time.

Going there is not a problem. That would solve the quality issue. It would have been nice to hear some feedback about customer service and delivery times. The guy was courteous and helpful on the phone, but you can't always depend on that.

I guess I'll just have to visit and roll the dice if I like what I see. I have just never heard of the company before. Being into fiberglass, I usually read something about, or hear about, the other companies out there (be it goo dor bad). If I buy it I will definitely report on my experience here.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have seen some of their cars & met the owner of Rod & Race Fiberglass at NSRA Nats East in York,Pa. I would say he has/makes very good quality cars/bodies. someone asked him a similar question about the strip bodies vs street bodies. he told the man no way would a strip body hold up over time on the street. from the impression i got from him during this discussion, he will be totally honest with you & attempt to talk you out of doing it. he seemed very knowledgeable about glass work. i suggest you talk to him & go from there. :cool:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks FASTFORD, that's exactly what I was looking for! :thumbup:

I talked to him once and he did enquire about what I was going to use the race body for. I told him it was for a street rod and I guess he was satisfied with my knowledge of fiberglass work because he didn't question the issue any further, or try to dissuade me from using it.

I asked about picking the body up, instead of having it shipped, and he was all for that because it saves him the trouble of crating it for shipping via a traditional carrier. His terms are normal for this type of fiberglass part - 50%, and about 4 weeks to build it. As I mentioned previously, everything seemed to be fine from the phone call, I just wanted to hear from someone who had some type of experience. Mainly, to make sure there were no horror stories out there...

Just to fill in some of the blanks... I have been doing custom fiberglass work for almost twenty years now; and am fully aware of what it will take to turn a race-weight part into a real street piece. The fact that it is only two layers works to my advantage because it is much easier to manipulate. When all the modifications are finished I will turn it upside down, add reinforcements, and lay-up more 'glass on the inside. What I am buying is a smooth exterior surface, in the shape of a 28 Ford. That saves me the trouble of modeling one from scratch, taking a mold from it, and making the part I could have purchased for less money and time.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Rod & Race was known as Anderson Industries or Ai Fiberglass in years past. Don't know when they changed their name and address. They were located in Elkridge MD back in the day.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
According to their website, "Our molds, which number over 1,000, have been assembled by combining the tooling libraries of several companies." Maybe the name change was done to go with their expanded product lines; or they bought Ai. I remember that company (Ai).

They're now in Cumberland MD

·
Registered
6 Posts
I, also, am considering a street rod project, much like todd', using a one peice 27T shell as my basis. Like todd', I have the capability and facilities to make this shape from scratch, but see no reason to reinvent the work that someone else has already done. My plan is to narrow the 27T shell by 6 to 8 inches and set it over one of my longitudinal leaf spring, "20s miller style" frames with my "20s miller style" nose and hood to make a nice combination lakes/track roadster.
In the past I have bought a few pieces of glass bodywork from Speedway Motors, The quality ranged from usable to "usable with some work" to unusable, so I am leery of their 27T shell. I have looked at the RodNRace website and, hopefully, can get a usable 27T shell from them. Buying someone else's glasswork is always a crapshoot, but, at least, I have the capability to work with it
I am following this thread with interest and look forward to following todd's project.......
mac miller in INDY
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4029077

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Mac, thanks for replying. Thanks for the info on Speedway too; as I have considered using one of their 27 bodies before. That's the thing about fiberglass; it's so labor intensive that all it takes is a day where the employees don't "feel like it" to turn out a string of bad parts. Or, quality control that doesn't give a hoot...

Sounds like we have some similar goals. I plan to narrow mine at the firewall about eight inches, along with a toilet paper roll of other modifications.

Wow, I just looked at your site and saw you speedster! We really have similar ideas. I was working on a 3D model for a similar idea but decided to go a different direction. I'll try to keep up with yours as well.

·
Registered
598 Posts
pasadenahotrod said:
Rod & Race was known as Anderson Industries or Ai Fiberglass in years past. Don't know when they changed their name and address. They were located in Elkridge MD back in the day.

the owner of Rod & Race had sold the business to A I Industries,keeping some assets in the biz. when A I closed he restarted Rod & Race.
at least i think this is what was said, cause i was looking at his display of parts & a price list when this discussion was going on. :embarrass

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I often wonder about the stories of old line companies timelines of names and ownerships.
Look at Gibbon Fiberglass, originally in Gibbon NE, lately of Charlotte NC. An old line company passed down from father to son, then DOA. Now son has started a new business offering rod bodies made to accept some bolt-on NASCAR style subframes or something to that effect.
I believe that quite often these companies have name changes to escape the bad reputations they have acquired over the years as the market demand for quality levels increase. One reason, so often the name changes but the address doesn't, or it changes to a nearby town.
Sometimes it's a shell game of ownership changes from father to sister to brother to cousin to uncle to son to granny. Always interesting, that's for sure!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts