Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't found much info anywhere else to I am turning here. Background history, I kind of inherited a 2002 1500 silverado with a 4.8 v8. It has 106000 miles and the transmission fluid was changed regularly.

Upon slow acceleration, light throttle, for example rolling through a parking lot, it has hardshifts that kind of bang together, but runs great when normally driving, hard driving etc. I was doing some research and I was wondering if it could be related to this?

Transmission 1-2 Shift Shudder, Vibration, Slips, Chuggle (Install Generator Voltage Sense Circuit) #02-07-30-030 - (08/09/2002)

I haven't found much on it, does it apply here? does anyone know what the actual fix was?

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
It could be that, but the TSB is pretty unclear on it. I'm trying to log in to the tech site but GM's server must be fritzing.

Its also quite possible that the valves in the valve body are sticking. I've seen that many times. The fix is either to bore it out and sleeve it or replace the valve body.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
curtis73, that was another thought. That TSB had made me really curious however. Do you have any idea on how much a new valve body cost?

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
Last one I did I was stuck in the wilderness on vacation and I was at the mercy of the only tranny shop in "town". (I put that in parenthesis since it wasn't really a town, more like a grocery store and some bears.)

I worked with the guy and my bill was $560 cdn, but he said it was about an $800 job if I had just left it there. That involved boring and sleeving the original valve body. We decided that it was a better way than just a new valve body. We sleeved it with bronze inserts that were less likely to freeze up later. We also did some performance mods since this was a tow vehicle. Simply replacing the valve body and valves would have been about the same, but yeilded stock performance and reliability.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts