Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Got Ouzo for touzo
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got offered a complete, non-molested '33 chevy ( oh, it'd get molested if I got it) The guy was a little sketchy on the details, just said come check it out, it would be a easy restore. Its a 5 window coupe, with apparently very little rust, and its all there.:drool:

He wants $1500 CDN, seems reasonable to me. From what I've been told about these cars is they have a lot of wood framing, and it hard to redo..... This could be why there are so few?

Has anybody redone one of these rigs? Or is their after market wood kits?

I just traded off the '37 a couple months ago, and the '32 is not quite complete, and really rough. So this may be a better project for me. I will still do the '32 but it will be a long time coming.

What do ya think?

bonuts

·
Beats pickin' cotton
117 Posts
Grab it!!!!!! You can replace the wood with steel if you'd like. These cars are tough to find. If you won't buy it, I will! There are more places making parts for these old Chevys, so it's not as hard to find stuff for them as it once was. Pickins are still some what slim, but stuff is out there.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Snatch it..........finish the 32 and keep this one rust free stored inside. After the 32 is done and you got enough money and motivation to do the 33 rod it OR keep it for a few more years and then sell it for way more.

Mike

·
Got Ouzo for touzo
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the wood can be replaced with steel you say, I say right on to that! I'm gonna look at the car next Saturday, it 3 hours away. He said he'd hold it for me so I'm in no huge rush.

Being that its complete I think this could be the project for me. I'm having nothing but troubles finding a set of rear fenders for the '32, and I want steel, and I want cheap. So this could be the biggest problem. I did get two minty sets of fronts for the duece, so I guess they'll be easy to sell.

I'll take pics and post 'em.

bonuts

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
Go for it!!! Older Chevy's are hard to find and really look good. A friend at work replaced all the wood in his with square tubing. Worked out very well. Good luck with your new (prospective) project! :thumbup:

·
im on a highway to hell
688 Posts
the early chevys did use a lot of wood but that can be dealt with a few friends of mine have a 33 and a 36 chevy and they both came out great and have been in use for a lot of years. i don,t know about parts availability but i will check and let you know.

·
Got Ouzo for touzo
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Remember how I said the details were a bit sketchy..... Well it turns out its not a 5 window Coupe, rather a 2 dr. Sedan.... With 5 windows! I'm still going to take the car, but a Coupe would have been a bit cooler.

bonuts

·
Registered
158 Posts
My guess is that the wood in a '33 is about the same as the wood in a '36. There are two long pieces between the rails and the body. The internal door structure is all wood. There is wood over and behind the door opening, around the port and rear windows and the trunk opening.

I replaced all the wood in the doors and around the trunk opening with steel, mfgr'd new wood for the rails and port windows. The wood around the rear window and over the doors was like new so I just cleaned it up, put a coupla coats of spare varnish on 'em and re-installed. Bought new wood to replace the wood behind the doors (they have a complicated shape).

·
Got Ouzo for touzo
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got some pics of the '33 up. Went and looked at the car Saturday, pretty impressive really. Not rotten (other than the wood) at all, everything was there. I'll be selling all the original non rod gear, but it was all there. Amazing how there would be no rust in all the years it has sat.

One rear fender looks like it had been stepped on, and I'll need a grill insert as this cars was falling apart.

bonuts

·
Rebuilt Excitment
595 Posts
Are the Fenders and doors with the car? Does the car have any paperwork with it? On some early cars they were registered by the engine number, so hold on to the original drive train until you find out. My 36 Pontiac was an all wood car also and a buddy is doing a 36 Chevy Sedan Delivery and has replace all the wood with square tubing. Is the frame an open channel frame, if so it will need to be fully boxed and an x member installed. Looks to be a cool project.

·
Got Ouzo for touzo
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah the car is complete, doors and fenders all look great (all but one rear fender) Zero rust! No paper work with the car, but as I understand it all I need is the VIN # (and I have that) and a hundred $$$ to register the car, and I'll get the whole history of owners with that as well.

bonuts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Not sure If you've decoded anything from that pic yet. But here's what I've to offer so far...
1933 Empire Master (CA) Standard Coach.
110" Wheel Base
5 Passenger
Assembled at: Oshawa; 1930 in Walker Road, Walkerville, Ontario
Block Casting #: 837231 (US PN 364314 or 601964)
Cylinder Head Casting#: 836961
US Version (I believe same for CANADA)
6cyl, 194ci, 5.2:1 Comp ratio, 65 @ 2800 BHP, Mechnical Brakes, Wood/steel body, Sold for US$565.
Weighs 2820 Pounds.
Fender costs US$225.
And when you're done it should look like:

Hope I helped :) Couldnt find any paint/trim codes for chevy though. Plenty for '33 plymouths though.:thumbup:

·
Got Ouzo for touzo
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where did you find the #'s to decode? Are they on the web, or a book you've got?

bonuts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts