Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I bought a basket-case hot rod that I'm finally seeing the semi-completion in my lifetime...maybe, LOL. I just installed the newly cut windows in the chopped-car, and the vent lacks a post between the side windows to seal to. There was no provision to install a post as the guide-channels were custom made and terminated at the bottom of the window opening (power windows). I don't know what the original owner's plans were (he passed away) but I'm left with a 3/16" gap that needs to be sealed somehow. I have some ideas, but it would be great if there exists some kind of rubber seal that has a window-thickness channel that could be glued to the trailing edge of the vent - an easy fix, IMO.
Does anyone know if such a thing exists!

Thanks in advance for any info or ideas...

Tom
Here's what I have...

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Wow, that is a problem. I see two ways to go. First is to fine the front vertical channel for the glass. As it is now there is no support for the front of the window and a good positive door shut could break the glass. Second would be to convert to one piece and do away with the vent window. There is a company that makes the conversions. Either way it won't be cheap. I like vent windows.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not too worried about the window breaking...if it does, I'll replace with coated lexan or plexiglass since no wipers are involved...those would not break due to doors closing. I'm hoping there are other alternatives to installing a vertical channel in this setup as the work would be very time-consuming if not absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
You might be able to great in a section of channel / divider from something like a 73-87 chev pickup ...I'd think you'd need an h shaped molding glued to the trailing edge of the vent otherwise

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A follow-up for those who might be interested...
The Mustang seals didn't work, as there wasn't a recess that would allow an attachment to the glass edge. However, I did locate a seal that worked perfectly...made in Turkey, packaged in Egypt, and sold on Amazon...LOL. Well-built with some metal reinforcing around the glass recess, and fit almost like it was made for my situation. Here's some pic's:

Later to finalize, a snip here and a dab here and there with some silicon sealer, and a few drops of Loctite gel super glue to make sure they stay put. The seal holds against the windows, and has just the right amount of pressure to maintain the seal but allow the windows to move well.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Why did you not simply glue a piece of flat rubber to the trailing edge of the vent window so it overlapped the upright window track..

No leaks or noise and it allows the vent window to function. It sounds crude. But if done correctly tapering the edge at the front the piece would fall right into the uprights recessed area weatherstripping.

They make a black high tack weatherstripping glue. After dry fitting several times I would smear a thin layer then apply the rubber before taping it down and waiting for it to properly dry.

If you decide you don't like it then it can be removed with a razor blade window scrapper.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why did you not simply glue a piece of flat rubber to the trailing edge of the vent window so it overlapped the upright window track..
The seal I used provides a better seal than a flat rubber piece as it can deflect at any point to adjust to window positioning when not fully up or down (when the window is not completely parallel with the vent). It also looks more professional - only a close look reveals it is not the original window post. It cost a whopping $30 or so for 10 feet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi all,
I bought a basket-case hot rod that I'm finally seeing the semi-completion in my lifetime...maybe, LOL. I just installed the newly cut windows in the chopped-car, and the vent lacks a post between the side windows to seal to. There was no provision to install a post as the guide-channels were custom made and terminated at the bottom of the window opening (power windows). I don't know what the original owner's plans were (he passed away) but I'm left with a 3/16" gap that needs to be sealed somehow. I have some ideas, but it would be great if there exists some kind of rubber seal that has a window-thickness channel that could be glued to the trailing edge of the vent - an easy fix, IMO.
Does anyone know if such a thing exists!

Thanks in advance for any info or ideas...

Tom
Here's what I have...
View attachment 617359
Hello. I bet that's annoying? I'm absolutely sure you can find some type of "u" channel rubber that would work just fine for that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
1940 ford's have a factory vent window seal. Go to a car show and check them out. Should be alot of used ones because of one piece conversions.
Then install the post and look where the original mount should have been and make a new bracket to hold the bottom of the post. And likewise with the upper bracket.
He was going to install one piece movable glass eliminating the vent window... All instances of the like are primarily this case.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It would be nice (for other followers) to post the link where you obtained your vent window rubber.
Thanks
Heres something that could work.

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Heres something that could work.
If youre not going to put it back to the way its supposed to be then anything like the examples ive given will block air noise. However it will do nothing to hold the glass.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Then install the post and look where the original mount should have been and make a new bracket to hold the bottom of the post. And likewise with the upper bracket.
He was going to install one piece movable glass eliminating the vent window... All instances of the like are primarily this case.
Potential, forgot to mention the post and my 40 is gone and a 39 in its place.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.