Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe MSD has something, but I've never used anything other than a 6a. Here's my question. My son has a '91 Toyota Cressida with a 6A that I installed. The stock distributor has the stock factory advance curve. Is there anything that would give it more ignition advance? there is no vacuum advance either. Thanks

·
More for Less Racer
20,945 Posts
I don't know that vehicle enough to tell you if the original distributor still had a mechanical advance or if it was a fixed rotor and the original ECM controlled it, but I can tell you this.....the is no way to advance electricity, you can only retard it.
You can't speed up an electrical signal.

To actually get "advance" with a CD box you would need one with a programmable timing function that reverses Retard/Advance in the brainbox. That's how they do it, by putting the crank or cam sensor xx Degrees in lead of TDC so the computer has time to calculate the desired firing signal.

All your distributor advances are by mechanical means, including the vacuum advance by using vaccum to turn the ignition pick-up.

I would expect to see the ECM controlled fixed rotor distributor in a 1991 anything, but was Toyoyo still using old mechanical advance as late as 1991??
Were they still that far behind?

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
A 91 would have all the advance mapped in an ECU computer. The distributor does nothing but conduct spark to the desired spark plug. The advance at idle is probably set at zero and the computer smart enough to thwart most any untoward adjustment made in that.

Most of 91 production vehicles were using the OBD I protocol, but given this is Japanese and they tended to push the envelope on this and like some of the GM V6’s and V8’s in this period leading up to the 96 OBD II mandate they might be messing around with an alien crossbreed of OBD I and OBD II. I’m not as up on imports as guys that play with these. My last deep dive was my wife’s Mazda 6 ES. Relative to that adventure my mother taught me that if you don’t have anything good to say, then say nothing. That got traded, well actually donated to a local high school auto shop class, and it was replaced with a Prius. I refuse to work on it but she’s had the thing for 16 years except for one headlight, one tail light bulb, a set of brake shoes, two sets of tires, about four sets of windshield wipers, a replacement windshield and drivers window from some parking lot troll that tried to break into it and a housekeeping battery it just keeps on trucking’, knock on wood. Oh yeah, she overshot a curb in the YMCA parking lot and tore off some piece of the air conditioning line that apparently is the lowest part of the car the dealer fixed it and shortly after she bought it she slid on snow bumping an ancient Chevy pickup’s dock bumper which creased the aluminum hood. Somewhere Toyota found a replacement in the original color for a current model year which then was also the new version of the Prius, I’m still amazed at that.

Bogie

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
These are actually very reliable very fun cars.
If you leave them alone.

You start adding power and your going to break stuff. Despite what people that know nothing about them may think just because ite rear wheel drive it is far from a supra.

Where your at now I would rip out that unreliable 6al and go back to the factory setup. With regular maintance a Cressida can hit 250k to 300k Typical for cars of today. But is respectful for a 91. Good chance the body will go long before the drivetrain.

That being said you can swap several things into these cars(replacing dang near the entire drivetrain). They make great sleepers at far lower insurance cost then a supra.

There is a 83 tercel SR5 that I keep going back and forth on buying. Butt ugly but they have a overbuilt awd setup and weigh nothing. An absolute beast slapping through the gears while going sideways in a foot of deep snow or on a frozen lake with some good tires and a bit of tuning.
But if you add power stuff breaks fast. Its lightweight because the parts are light weight and rated for only so much. Toyota's are overbuilt to a point and it is not that hard to go past that point.
If you want to add power its not that hard just know that your going to need to improve or replace more then just the engine to have things survive that additional power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts