Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stripping down a 57 chev truck cab to prep for paint. There's a lot of push/pull cables for heat, choke, vents,etc., and I'd like to lube them up for smoother operation when I reinstall them. Any tips?

·
Administrator
18,522 Posts
If you are removing them, soak them in a pan of oil for a few days and then wipe them off. Ir leaving them on, spray them with WD-40.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
I agree with Poncho62 up to the point of the WD40. WD40 is terrible for lubing cables. After the carrier solvent has flashed off it leaves behind a yellowish goo that will gum. Yeah it will work great short term. I would use something made for cable lubrication. You can find some dynamite cable lube at the motorcycle shop. BelRay is but one manufacturer.

Vince

·
Fishing poles in the hot rod!
109 Posts
Sure is a good idea to lube them. If they get too stiff your heater controls can break. I squirted Liquid Wrench in mine and they loosened up fine. Don't know if it has the same problem as the WD-40 or not.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Since you live in Canada, try Release. You can get it at Can. Tire. Green and yellow can I think. at work i pull the cables out and hang them and start putting the penetrating oil to it. Them hang them the other way and do it all over. Krown also makes a good pen. oil and lube. I hate to put down a product but wd-40 is the worse by itself. It cleans the metal too good. Had a buddy clean his guns with it and after a month they where rusted so bad he had to get some of them reblued. Let us know how you make out. Cheers!!

·
DETAILING GOD
4,266 Posts
I will use WD-40 or similar product to penetrate & as a vehicle to get lube in there I would try to soak then in a synthetic oil so it will last longer

After soaking hang them up & let them drip out so after they are reinstalled they wont leak on your dash, feet & floor

White lithium grease's probably the best because it will go in ,in a liquid state & then congeal to a grease state.

Well I hope this helps!

Rob :thumbup:

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
Rob Keller said:
I will use WD-40 or similar product to penetrate & as a vehicle to get lube in there I would try to soak then in a synthetic oil so it will last longer

After soaking hang them up & let them drip out so after they are reinstalled they wont leak on your dash, feet & floor

White lithium grease's probably the best because it will go in ,in a liquid state & then congeal to a grease state.

Well I hope this helps!

Rob :thumbup:
Depending on your climate... anything that "congeals" would sure as heck freeze up solid at -20°C (around 0°F). :nono: I learned that an an early age on an old snowmobile .... yeeeehaaaaaaw! :thumbup:

Graphite works well. You can buy it in an aerosol can and spray it right inside the cable housing. After the liquid "carrier" evaporates it leaves the dry graphite powder behind. Graphite doesn't care about temperature ... it's always slippery. Don't overdo it if the cable is installed in the car, though ... it can make a "mell of a hess" on your carpets.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks fellas,
I think for the ones that I can pull the inner wire completely out of I'll try the graghite spray in the housing but some cables ends are bent at the end where they hook up and I can't separate them from the housing so on those I'll have to try the oil. Murray

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2 cents

Also at a motorcycle dealer you can get a cable luber for the ones that dont come apart. Basically a small aluminum shell with a rubber insert. It fits over the cable end and you tighten it with two thumbscrews. It has a small hole for the straw on the lube can so you don't waste as much. Motorcycle chain lube works well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Royal Purple

Dunno if I'm going at it right, but I use Royal Purple (used) on my Avanti & it works great!! I paint it on with paint brush, simple!! I live in So East Tx so cold is not a problem SEAYA !! :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
Let's put this thread in General Rodding Tech.

Dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts