Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1955 chevy truck, universal wiring harness, 1992 Chevy truck column and an 07 vs golf rear wiper motor.
I have installed a column from a 92 Chevy pickup into my 55 chevy pickup. I have then installed a 2 speed rear wiper motor from an 07 vs golf city. I would like to use the controls in the column to control the wipers. Hopefully it's possible. I'll include a wiring diagram for the column and for the wiper motor, perhaps some of the bigger brains out there can tell me if it can be done and what to hook up to what.
Thnx in advance
Schematic Rectangle Font Slope Parallel

·
Registered
128 Posts
On the VW wiper motor, schematic shows 'u, v, w' leading off to i'm assuming the switch for the rear wiper. Do you have that portion of the wiring diagram? Hoping VW supplied a switch ' internal wiring 'diagram. The GM wiper switch supplies power on the wires depending upon function selected. Applying power to the white wire while operating the switch should give you the functions for the other wires. A test light would be fine to use here.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the VW wiper motor, schematic shows 'u, v, w' leading off to i'm assuming the switch for the rear wiper. Do you have that portion of the wiring diagram? Hoping VW supplied a switch ' internal wiring 'diagram. The GM wiper switch supplies power on the wires depending upon function selected. Applying power to the white wire while operating the switch should give you the functions for the other wires. A test light would be fine to use here.
No , unfortunately this is all I have from vw, infact the dealer didn't want to give me any info, I reached over the counter and snapped this pic. I will test the switch functions with a test light tomorrow, I just wanted to ask before I started powering anything up so I didn't short something.

·
Administrator
8,280 Posts
Wiper motor ( V12) looks to have a semiconductor device in it. Probably has a small circuit board in/on it as well.
Likely that controls the speed.
May have a pulse width modulated driver to control the speed.

Good luck

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wiper motor ( V12) looks to have a semiconductor device in it. Probably has a small circuit board in/on it as well.
Likely that controls the speed.
May have a pulse width modulated driver to control the speed.

Good luck
Sounds like a may have chosen the wrong motor to use

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
The problem is that anything after 1986 is designed around a computer being in the circuit somewhere. 87-95 is OBD-1 and not too computer invasive yet but still there on a lot of systems you don’t think of as needing computer management. Starting in 96 OBD-2 invades and computers integrate everything whether computer control of things like turn signals, air conditioning and heating, and windshield wipers really need them or not, they got them. The computer geeks are really whacked over using Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) control where in the good old days electric motor speed was managed with a fifty cent resistor now takes a 500 dollar computer and brushless motor.

Bogie

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Yes you need the PWM board or in your case the body module.

Frankly I would not run any VW electronics in anything but a VW. Even the "good" ones are known for being failure prone junk.

Just use a 92 switch, 92 module, and 92 motor.
Keeps everything "stock" and it is a fairly simple harness.

Here is a 98 motor in a 53 truck to just give you an idea on how to go about mounting a 92 motor.

You may get more info from that person with better pictures. But the 92 motor will fit.

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,501 Posts
Here is a 98 motor in a 53 truck to just give you an idea on how to go about mounting a 92 motor.

You may get more info from that person with better pictures. But the 92 motor will fit.
not sure if that setup ever worked for him, donandal quit posting in the truck forum a couple years ago. my understanding is the 92 motor has the wiper control module built in the motor, but it was never confirmed. if i was going to go the route of using X motor with Z switch, i'd certainly check the operation before mounting anything in the vehicle.
typical of every forum, new guy comes in with grand visions and great expectations. starts posting left and right and then sort of peters out when they realize the time, money and skill set required to fully build a vehicle. i emphasize skill set, cuz most people do not have the skill set required to do a build of anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts