Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to decide if i should try to chop my 59 galaxie. i have never chopped a top before and i know it is a complex chop seeing how it has curved glass. i figure u gotta start somewhere though. anybody ever do one or have any suggestions on this? thanks. :smash:
 

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
Joined
·
16,459 Posts
Well first off, the back glass is tempered and can not be cut. So you would likely "sink" the glass into the package tray so it doesn't need to be cut. The side glass on that car I believe is all flat, and safety plate so you can just cut all new windows using templates given to the glass man.

The windshield is the biggie, can it be cut, sure. But it takes a VERY experianced glass man to do it. And expect a new window or two to be broken in the process (with no guarantee, so you pay).

It too can be "sunk", but honestly I don't like that option (front or rear). I would do anything before that. Cutting the glass is just one of the many things that sets the customizer appart from the "Craftsmen".

If you do cut it, you want to cut the glass before you get the top chop finished so you can modify the roof to fit the glass! This is one big mistake most make (I did myself on my first curved glass chop) you can't modify the shape of the glass, and cutting a section off not only changes it's height, it changes it's shape. So instead of chopping the top and then trying to fit the glass to the top, you cut the glass and make the top fit the glass.

I ended up making a fiberglass windshield using a windshield as a mould. I then cut the fiberglass windshield down to fit my chopped top. The fiberglass windshield was then used to modify the roof. The fiberglass windshield was then used as a pattern to cut the glass and wham, it all fit back together!

Brian

 
  • Like
Reactions: Schuey55

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,051 Posts
This is a 55 Chevy I helped my Friend Tim (LET'S CUT IT UP) Sunk the top down in this 55..Worked out very nice..But it's a lot of work..But on this car,When you drop the top down into the car.It get's narrower.But it turn out very nice.The first time I ever chopped one this way.. :)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,471 Posts
MARTINSR said:
It too can be "sunk", but honestly I don't like that option (front or rear). I would do anything before that. Cutting the glass is just one of the many things that sets the customizer appart from the "Craftsmen".
Please explain this one to me. I have chopped top both ways and it is to easy to saw a top and graft it back on 4 or so inches lower. It is another thing to sink a top and do it tastefully . It is a lot more work to sink one than chop one. Yea ,chopping one ,you have to cut the glass, wooo hoooo. You know maybe some of us sometimes don't have that option. Or want to try something a little different. Now if you prefer chop over sunk that is fine but don't say that any man is any less than a craftsman for sinking a top. You sound like you have a lot of knowledge then you go and say something like this. I just don't get it. I just don't get your horse blinder type of thinking. sorry. Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
In terms of chopping the glass down, I saw Stacey David on his Gearz show (go ahead, make fun of me now :D ) cut down glass by grinding it. I never thought about that method, but it makes sense I guess, if you're careful and go reeeeeeeal slowly. Has anyone here tried this grinding method?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,471 Posts
AntnyL said:
In terms of chopping the glass down, I saw Stacey David on his Gearz show (go ahead, make fun of me now :D ) cut down glass by grinding it. I never thought about that method, but it makes sense I guess, if you're careful and go reeeeeeeal slowly. Has anyone here tried this grinding method?

I have asked the same question and I was told grinding will split the glass because of the heat build up and if it catches the glass. I have been told to sandblast it by a bunch of people but have never tried that either. I have a friend who owns a glass shop that is giving me some old windshields to try different ways of cutting. He refused to try to cut my 57 chevy glass last week so it will be up to me to find a way to do it . I guess he better keep them 57 glasses in stock till I get it right,. I will be trying the grinding method just to see what happens. We don't have any glass cutters here ,they are just what I call glass installers. Tim
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,051 Posts
lets cut it up said:
I have asked the same question and I was told grinding will split the glass because of the heat build up and if it catches the glass. I have be told to sandblast it by a bunch of people but have never tried that either. I have a friend how owns a glass shop that is giving me some old windshields to try different ways of cutting. He refused to try to cut my 57 chevy glass last week so it will be up to me to find a way to do it . I guess he better keep them 57 glasses in stock till I get it right,. I will be trying the grinding method just to see what happens. We don't have any glass cutters here ,they are just what I call glass installers. Tim

I think it would work...and if you can add water on the blade,It would most likely work good. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
lets cut it up said:
I have asked the same question and I was told grinding will split the glass because of the heat build up and if it catches the glass. I have been told to sandblast it by a bunch of people but have never tried that either. I have a friend who owns a glass shop that is giving me some old windshields to try different ways of cutting. He refused to try to cut my 57 chevy glass last week so it will be up to me to find a way to do it . I guess he better keep them 57 glasses in stock till I get it right,. I will be trying the grinding method just to see what happens. We don't have any glass cutters here ,they are just what I call glass installers. Tim
Hey by the way, I absolutely LOVE your 55 Chevy! That chop looks soooooo right. Great job to you and New Interiors! Very impressive. :thumbup:
 

·
Just one of the guys
Joined
·
3,074 Posts
lets cut it up said:
I have asked the same question and I was told grinding will split the glass because of the heat build up and if it catches the glass. I have been told to sandblast it by a bunch of people but have never tried that either. I have a friend who owns a glass shop that is giving me some old windshields to try different ways of cutting. He refused to try to cut my 57 chevy glass last week so it will be up to me to find a way to do it . I guess he better keep them 57 glasses in stock till I get it right,. I will be trying the grinding method just to see what happens. We don't have any glass cutters here ,they are just what I call glass installers. Tim
You might want to look into waterjet cutting. A few companies advertise for cutting automotive glass. Never seen it done though but just a suggestion. http://www.kmtwaterjet.com/glass-cutting.aspx
http://www.sandersreproglass.com/process.php
 

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
Joined
·
16,459 Posts
lets cut it up said:
Please explain this one to me. I have chopped top both ways and it is to easy to saw a top and graft it back on 4 or so inches lower. It is another thing to sink a top and do it tastefully . It is a lot more work to sink one than chop one. Yea ,chopping one ,you have to cut the glass, wooo hoooo. You know maybe some of us sometimes don't have that option. Or want to try something a little different. Now if you prefer chop over sunk that is fine but don't say that any man is any less than a craftsman for sinking a top. You sound like you have a lot of knowledge then you go and say something like this. I just don't get it. I just don't get your horse blinder type of thinking. sorry. Tim
Nothing personal and no need for me to explain my feelings because it will only turn my opinion more personal. Just take it as someone saying they don't like the color of your car. You would say, "that's nice because it's my car and I don't care what you think". :D My "Craftsmen" remark was out of line. I just don't like it, that simple.


Brian
 

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
Joined
·
16,459 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,051 Posts
AntnyL said:
Hey by the way, I absolutely LOVE your 55 Chevy! That chop looks soooooo right. Great job to you and New Interiors! Very impressive. :thumbup:

Thanks AntnyL... It was fun while it lasted.. :( Tim sold the car.. :smash: But we had some good times late at night on that car... :D Not sure what going to happen with it now. :confused:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,051 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,471 Posts
AntnyL said:
Hey by the way, I absolutely LOVE your 55 Chevy! That chop looks soooooo right. Great job to you and New Interiors! Very impressive. :thumbup:

Thanks for the complement. I had to sell it to pay bills...I do regret it but I can always build another. I am about to chop a 57 4-dr hardtop soon but I wont be sinking it this time I want it to look like it came out of a 50's custom shop. Any way back to figuring out glass cutting.LOL Tim
 

·
SPI Thug
Joined
·
3,274 Posts
the glass guy who use to do mine used a water belt. keeps the glass cool. he used 3 different belts but they came out nice and fit right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
lets cut it up said:
Thanks for the complement. I had to sell it to pay bills...I do regret it but I can always build another. I am about to chop a 57 4-dr hardtop soon but I wont be sinking it this time I want it to look like it came out of a 50's custom shop. Any way back to figuring out glass cutting.LOL Tim
Cool! Post progress pix, I wanna SEEEEEEEEEEE! :)
 

·
SPI Thug
Joined
·
3,274 Posts
it's an upright belt sander with a small trough of water the belt passes through. basically wet sanding off the extra. beats spending 2 days breaking windshields.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
65 f100 chop

I have a 65 f100 swb that I am planning to chop 4". The chopping and welding are not a problem . My concern comes from eliminating the vent windows in addition to the chop. When I look down into the door it looks as if the hinge mounts are going to interfere with the solid glass going down.Any help with this would be appreciated.
 

·
Alberta Bud
Joined
·
138 Posts
MARTINSR said:
Well first off, the back glass is tempered and can not be cut. So you would likely "sink" the glass into the package tray so it doesn't need to be cut. The side glass on that car I believe is all flat, and safety plate so you can just cut all new windows using templates given to the glass man.

The windshield is the biggie, can it be cut, sure. But it takes a VERY experianced glass man to do it. And expect a new window or two to be broken in the process (with no guarantee, so you pay).

It too can be "sunk", but honestly I don't like that option (front or rear). I would do anything before that. Cutting the glass is just one of the many things that sets the customizer appart from the "Craftsmen".

If you do cut it, you want to cut the glass before you get the top chop finished so you can modify the roof to fit the glass! This is one big mistake most make (I did myself on my first curved glass chop) you can't modify the shape of the glass, and cutting a section off not only changes it's height, it changes it's shape. So instead of chopping the top and then trying to fit the glass to the top, you cut the glass and make the top fit the glass.

I ended up making a fiberglass windshield using a windshield as a mould. I then cut the fiberglass windshield down to fit my chopped top. The fiberglass windshield was then used to modify the roof. The fiberglass windshield was then used as a pattern to cut the glass and wham, it all fit back together!

Brian

That's very wise thinking,and good advice,seen many fail.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top