Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the dash out of my 77 Ford F100 shortbox today. Found this electrical component on the drivers side up in by the parking brake release. I have no idea what it does. Doesn't seem to be anyplace to plug it in. This truck has been screwed with a lot over the last 35 years. I know it was a standard 4 speed at one time due to the hole in the hump. Anybody recognize it? Do I need it.

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK. Thanks guys. So I guess at one time the truck had delay wipers. I wonder if I can hook it back up, if it's any good. Does it take a special motor for delay wipers?

·
Automotive Extraordinaire
1,278 Posts
I'm not so sure it is a wiper delay. It may be though. The part number comes back to a wiper relay. Do you wipers work now? If so plug the relay in line and see if anything changes.

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
I worked as a Ford partsman from 1978 to 1992, and agree with what cucumber has told you ... "17C476" was the ford basic number for a wiper delay module. (NAPA and Blue Streak DO call them a "relay" though)

If you go to Bluestreak's Online Catalog and then click on the cross-reference tab. Enter "17C476" into the text-box, and then click on the "contains" selection and press [Search]

The way to tell for sure is by the look of the switch. The "interval wiper" switch had an addition external wire lead on it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys,
The dash is out now, but when the truck was running the wipers worked fine, but only 2 speed, and I think the switch is just a 2 speed. As I said the truck has been screwed with over the years and maybe originally it had delay wipers, but not when I got it. There's nowhere to actually plug this thing in. Wires go directly from the wiper motor to the switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.