Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my 9 year old just asked me a question that I have no answer (I can't even fake it). Does a tv or radio use more power if the volume is up high? I have to assume it takes energy to produce more sound, so I say yes. But is this measurable?

Brian

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
In actually depends especially back in the day. But in todays world it does require more power. It should be minimal with a typical tv or radio unlike a high power entertainment system which would draw a lot more with the amplifiers and converters. They do make meters so you could test it if you so chose.

http://xoxide.com/p3-kill-a-watt.html

·
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!
299 Posts
Yes and yes.

It takes power to run the speakers, power consumption increases with volume. I could make the lights in my parents house dim when I cranked my 66WRMS/ch amp way up. :D

A speaker is a very basic electromechanical device, nothing more than a coil around a magnet. Electricity energizes the coil, which "pushes" against the magnetic field of the magnet and causes the cone, which is glued to the coil, to vibrate, thus producing sound. In order to create louder sound, more electricity must be applied to the coil, making it push off the magnet harder.

Here's some good reading: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/speaker.htm

·
Certified Lead Foot
518 Posts
The rate of increase in power consumption goes up when you turn up the volume control. this rise is not linear or smooth but is there.

Even tube type tv's and radio's took more power with more volume.

·
16,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, that all makes sense but I needed "back up", he is my kid you know.

Brian

·
Registered
154 Posts
MARTINSR said:
Thanks guys, that all makes sense but I needed "back up", he is my kid you know.
Well, I'm bored and awake(stupid insomnia) so I decided to do a quick test. I ran my computer speaker's power wire through my multimeter which was set to read amperage. As the volume increased so did the current draw, with nothing playing it would read .069A, and the more I would increase the volume the higher it would go. If the music stopped playing it would drop back to .069A, as soon as the music started it would spike over .2A. Current draw was dependent on both the volume using the computer's volume control and the volume knob on the speaker.

Being 5AM here with other people in the house asleep I decided not to try to see how much current I could make them draw.

·
16,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL, thanks Elliot, here I am at 3:30 reading your insomnia induced work. :) I too couldn't sleep. I rarely do this, but when I do, here I am wide awake. And I fell asleep on the couch hours ago, got up in a stuper and made it to the bed to crash out in seconds. Then at 2:45 or so, eyes open like a friggin lemer. :eek:

Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts