Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been seeing alot of older orginal colors popping up on high end hot rods and show cars including cruisers,
And to be honest is really refreshing in a world of candy and pearl colors witch are nice dont get me wrong! lol but it really seems to be a new trend going to orginal colrs or the older hues on some of these hot rods really a timeless look and mixed with nice rollers or even nostalgia wheels makes for a reall cool looking car
I've been looking at some colors for my 48 and beleive im leaning towards these older style hues ecs in two tone just wanted to get some input and see what everyone thinks Later George

Attachments

·
Ford Man to the bone!!!
112 Posts
Makes old guys want to say... "I don't remember them looking that cool."

I for one like to see how the factory would have done it IF...

Dropped and chopped but with stock looking wheels and the same paint and chrome the factory put on it. Just look deeper and see modern drive train, interior and suspension.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I've noticed the same thing, the problem I have with it is a lot of the older colors were milky/muddy looking. I've got a 41 Chev convertible to do later this year and the owner is considering going with a 41 color or one similar. It'll be a singlestage solid color and I just hope we can get something clean and popular without the muddy look. Bob

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Why can't you get the original colors mixed in the new technology paint systems?
That should give you the best of all worlds, fabulous depth of color and longevity.

I'd like a gallon of 1947-48 Plymouth Cruiser Maroon, please.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you can and thats the best way to go im not talkinga single stage but a high quailty paint just in the orginal hues
no way im going to put a single stage on a hot rod show car lliek you saud you dont want a dull hine you want to maximize the shine just in an aweosme color

·
street rods forever
324 Posts
as much as candies n pearls look great,altho xpensive, some original colors are great looking ,"back in the day" style.I say cheeper paint n more attention to engine ,interior detail.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
pasadenahotrod said:
Why can't you get the original colors mixed in the new technology paint systems?
That should give you the best of all worlds, fabulous depth of color and longevity.

I'd like a gallon of 1947-48 Plymouth Cruiser Maroon, please.
If you leave out the flake and the pearl one can use an intercoat base maker and mix a nice maroon color..spray out a layout to see that the shade is right then go for it..

What I am finding is that I can duplicate a lot of those old colors using HOK materials and leaving out the flake and pearl..

Sam

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
baddbob said:
OMT, sounds like you're liking the SPI intercoat.... Very nice stuff indeed!

I just love that stuff as it allows me to get what I want and a lot simpler than som eof the other stuff I used to try...

Sam

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree Kruzr im really big on detail and smoothness and body mods you would not notice until pointed out really like the 40's gary/grn look and maybe a black two tone on top for my 48 still trying to decide its like trying to picks your first childs name the right color wil make or break the car just like wheels

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.