Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Caprice Classic Brougham
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
floored it in first, and the car acted like the belt snapped. shut it off and noticed the waterpump snapped off the block. not sure if the motor moved enough for the fan to dig into the fan shroud, but i'm not sure that would cause this much damage. anyone have any ideas? i'm thinking both mounting arms were already cracked pretty good.
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Leg Hood

·
Registered
107 Posts
floored it in first, and the car acted like the belt snapped. shut it off and noticed the waterpump snapped off the block. not sure if the motor moved enough for the fan to dig into the fan shroud, but i'm not sure that would cause this much damage. anyone have any ideas? i'm thinking both mounting arms were already cracked pretty good. View attachment 624500
New one on Me. Looks like that fan blade must have grabbed something
Which should be pretty obvious. Or the pump bearing seized and that fan belt had one hell of a good grip on that pulley. Like I said never seen that one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New one on Me. Looks like that fan blade must have grabbed something
Which should be pretty obvious. Or the pump bearing seized and that fan belt had one hell of a good grip on that pulley. Like I said never seen that one.
mostly posted this in case someone wanted to see something new. it's obvious that the fan grabbed something after the waterpump broke loose, but i can't imagine this damage coming from the plastic shroud. i will say that the fan blades went through my damn hood.

·
Registered
107 Posts
mostly posted this in case someone wanted to see something new. it's obvious that the fan grabbed something after the waterpump broke loose, but i can't imagine this damage coming from the plastic shroud. i will say that the fan blades went through my damn hood.
No evidence of blade damage? Does the water pump still rotate??.Curious

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No evidence of blade damage? Does the water pump still rotate??.Curious
the fan is done. i just can't say what caused it. the aftermath destroyed my shroud, fan, hood, and rad. waterpump moved forward and the fan tore up everything in it's path. the pump still spins, and the pullies and fan clutch look good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the fan is done. i just can't say what caused it. the aftermath destroyed my shroud, fan, hood, and rad. waterpump moved forward and the fan tore up everything in it's path. the pump still spins, and the pullies and fan clutch look good.
i'm just gonna assume it grabbed the shroud before it broke. i'd think it would've sliced it like butter and prevented all this

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
6,070 Posts
Yep, crap steel.........I feel your pain..............I got lucky, although, I sure didn't feel it at the time, it only took out the rad. The last copper/brass rad available on the market, I had just bought off eBay.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Helmet

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior

·
More for Less Racer
21,107 Posts
I've seen them break the shaft, like 123 Pugsy has shown.

but I've never in 40 years of hotrodding and racing seen it break the cast pump body itself.

My first thought was: "Was that pump on a car that was in a front end accident, and then re-used??"

Anything the fan could have grabbed would be too weak to force a break like that....it would either slice the offending object or bust the fan blades....but not break the pump off the motor.
Even if the pump locked up it would just burn or shred the belt....it's not like a shaft or chain drive forcing it to twist off.

Another vote here for good possibility of offshore cast pump.
Or maybe the pump was a rebuilt core, and the core WAS in an accident....or tossed like a football at the recyclers??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, crap steel.........I feel your pain..............I got lucky, although, I sure didn't feel it at the time, it only took out the rad. The last copper/brass rad available on the market, I had just bought off eBay.
yup, my rad looks just like yours did. gotta get it back up before the dream cruise

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've seen them break the shaft, like 123 Pugsy has shown.

but I've never in 40 years of hotrodding and racing seen it break the cast pump body itself.

My first thought was: "Was that pump on a car that was in a front end accident, and then re-used??"

Anything the fan could have grabbed would be too weak to force a break like that....it would either slice the offending object or bust the fan blades....but not break the pump off the motor.
Even if the pump locked up it would just burn or shred the belt....it's not like a shaft or chain drive forcing it to twist off.

Another vote here for good possibility of offshore cast pump.
Or maybe the pump was a rebuilt core, and the core WAS in an accident....or tossed like a football at the recyclers??
sadly not sure of the pump's history, but it's been good for the 2 years that i've had it. new motor new problems.

edit: at least it's interesting. maybe not for my pockets.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
What kind of fan?
A link pic of it would help.
I had a flex fan lose one blade. Made a nice slice in my freshly painted hood. Vibrated so bad I thought the motor blew up.
mine was a six blade fan.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my 1974 Vette about 30 years ago. Put a new clutch fan on, went for a short ride and water pump broke off. Ended up being the shaft from water pump was smaller than the hole for the clutch fan. A bit to much play causing things to slip/wobble when I got on it good.

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,699 Posts
yup, my rad looks just like yours did. gotta get it back up before the dream cruise
Don't worry about the "dream" cruise, unless your dream is minivans and suvs
Do worry about the Hines Park cruise, closed course with 25 year cutoff
That is my go to event, haven't been to the minivan cruise for 10 years or more
Cruisin' Hines is the week after minivan cruise

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't worry about the "dream" cruise, unless your dream is minivans and suvs
Do worry about the Hines Park cruise, closed course with 25 year cutoff
That is my go to event, haven't been to the minivan cruise for 10 years or more
Cruisin' Hines is the week after minivan cruise
you ain't lying. last year was normal traffic and new corvettes. you just put me on game

1 - 20 of 45 Posts