Hot Rod Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Caprice Classic Brougham
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
While you're at it, check all your pulleys for smooth operation.
I'm wondering if something is hitting the brakes from all them parts and boom.
the pulleys look good and straight, and as far as i can see, spin with no wobbling. i didn't see anything scary on initial start when i was bleeding the system.

as for the tensioner, it's a bit scuffed up, so i'm not sure if it's time to replace it. i don't see any flat spots or anything, and it's spinning freely.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
6,070 Posts
the pulleys look good and straight, and as far as i can see, spin with no wobbling. i didn't see anything scary on initial start when i was bleeding the system.

as for the tensioner, it's a bit scuffed up, so i'm not sure if it's time to replace it. i don't see any flat spots or anything, and it's spinning freely.
Use your ratchet and check how the tensioner swivels thru it's motion, if it binds up anywhere or feels weird.
That's pretty much the only item that inflicts pressure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
i don't think i want to replace the whole setup and only change the tensioner. these pumps are popping like balloons.

i have an auto adjusting tensioner. is there a way to somehow set less tension on the belt for testing? i'd rather the belt slip or even snap instead of my pump going out. someone suggested i do an electric pump, but my cheap setup was doing damn well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Use your ratchet and check how the tensioner swivels thru it's motion, if it binds up anywhere or feels weird.
That's pretty much the only item that inflicts pressure.
i took the tensioner back and forth a few times. it's smooth

i don't even wanna assume a low percentage freak accident happened twice in a row. it has to be something besides the pump housing, right?

41 - 45 of 45 Posts