Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
11,672 Posts
absolutely ,positively never ,ever use steel wool anywhere near a car.what happens is little pieces break of all over everything getting everywhere and the slightest bit of moisture starts them rusting by the time you notice the little rust specks ,its too late...we thought they worked fantastic for cleaning up chrome until one day .....now old paint is a little different you can clean the chrome up but you better blow the whole car off real well and even then you wont know if you got them all until it rains out and its to late its just not worth it get scuff pads they're only about 5.00 for three ,enough to do three cars they also dont sand they scuff and are worthless to sand primer with you need sand paper ,scuff the primer AFTER you sand..
there's a bronze wool that's made just for using on or around cars

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
deadbodyman said:
absolutely ,positively never ,ever use steel wool anywhere near a car.what happens is little pieces break of all over everything getting everywhere and the slightest bit of moisture starts them rusting by the time you notice the little rust specks ,its too late...we thought they worked fantastic for cleaning up chrome until one day .....now old paint is a little different you can clean the chrome up but you better blow the whole car off real well and even then you wont know if you got them all until it rains out and its to late its just not worth it get scuff pads they're only about 5.00 for three ,enough to do three cars they also dont sand they scuff and are worthless to sand primer with you need sand paper ,scuff the primer AFTER you sand..
there's a bronze wool that's made just for using on or around cars
I'm a little confused. Your saying that the steel wool breaks off and gets trapped in spaces. It then begins to rust.

What does that have to do with the panel that is coated in primer?

· Registered
11,672 Posts
My new shower stall is cured,gel coated fiberglass,it was ruined in one week from me grinding metal. the metal dust sticks to the fiberglass then starts rusting, eating right in,I haven't found anything yet that will get rid of it...rust specks everywhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.