Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a work truck(2001 hd3500 w 8.1l engine) that I recently put in a new 5speed NP. About two weeks later the pos plastic slave cylinder gave up. I didnt have the time to do it myself so I had a local shop replace it and put a new clutch while they had it apart. A month in and out of the shop and three clutches later it is still slipping. It has some sort of funky "self adjusting" pressure plate. The guys at the shop doing the work are clueless and I cant find anyone that can help. It also looks like the disc is touching the end of the plastic slave and is machining off the end that keeps the throwout bearing from slipping off.

So I was hoping that someone here has dealt with these things and might have some idea on how to make it work. I am ready to set the damn thing on fire.

Thanks

John

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After pulling everything apart and talking to the clutch manufacturer, and GM's powertrain tech line, it turns out that it had the wrong clutch. There are two different clutches for this truck, one for the five speed and one for the six. It seems that most of the aftermarket parts guys only list the one for the six speed. The correct part number for the five speed clutch kit is 4-203 (luk), or 12571745 (GM) in case anyone else has the same problem.

John

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Manufacturer yes, dealer, sometimes. The dealer here is worse than the shop I was using. Price you pay for living in a small town.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts