Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find out how to disable onstar on a 2007 corvette. I feel like onstar is invading my privacy and would like to stop them from having access to me and my vehicle. Besides pulling out the fuse, is there anything else i need to do to stop onstar from locating and listening in on conversations held within my car. Can anyone help me with this?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

I seriously doubt anybody is listening to your conversations in the cockpit, but it IS creepy thinking they CAN...

If you REALLY want to disable it, find the audio pickup ( Mic) and disconnect it..it won't be able to HEAR audio..

But the real invasion comes in the Computer logging stats..07 Vette SHOULD have a down-loadable memory that keeps track of your driving habits..as well as any situations that lead up to an accident..(To me..that's almost a form of self incrimination..unless you are not at fault.. :sweat: )

Doc :pimp:

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
Color me paranoid, but ...

There was a recent TV show (COPS?) that said they captured the thief red-handed and recovered the vehicle thanks to On-Star.

We have a new user (1 post) asking how to disable on-star on a vehicle that is probably near the top of the list of desirable stolen vehicles. If it were MY brand-new Vette, I wouldn't DREAM of disabling On-Star!

Not only that, but 2 requests (threads) for the same info within minutes ... what's the rush? :nono:

·
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!
299 Posts
I've been eyeballing the new camaro, and you can bet your *** I'm disabling the On-Star the moment I get it home. GM has no business knowing what I'm doing with my car.

As 302 said, you should be able to find the GPS antenna and disconnect it.

·
Administrator
18,397 Posts
I thought that all this was supposed to happen in "1984"...........They are 23 years late.....

I knew that I should have never given Radio Shack my address................ :nono:

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
busterwivell said:
Actually, ONSTAR is haw a friend recovered his stolen Avalanche.
A local car dealer who was part owner in the Chevy dealership who was also an avid hunter went on a hunting trip into Mexico. This was at a private lodge with firearms provided. After the hunt they went into town for some food and fun and he had placed several rounds of 7mm mag ammo in his coat pocket. Well they got a little rowdy and drew the interest of the local police. They were searched and the ammo was discovered and he was arrested and his Suburban was seized. He spent several years in a Mexican prison and was only released after a ton of money was spent on bribes and finally the federal government stepped in. He never did get the Suburban back but the story is On-Star really messed up the car somehow. Don't know if that part is true, but that is the story.

·
Registered
393 Posts
ONSTAR is one reason I didnt buy a GM car my last purchase. I really dont care for the service. I dont want big brother watching me.. Heres something I found on the subject. It came from this web site that is for trucks but it should be the same for all of GM's products. I also found a Cadilac site that showed the box in the trunk. They talked about unplugging it. You could do a search and find that. It might give you some information.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t28050.html

Here is a little info I found to disable onstar.....

Recommended Precautions.
The OnStar system by GM periodically communicates with the vehicle. This periodic communication
with the vehicle has been known to disrupt the programming process. In order to prevent disruption
of the programming process, it is recommended that the OnStar system be disabled while programming
the vehicle. To temporarily disable your OnStar system in 4.8/5.3/6.0/8.1L GM vehicles, remove the
fuse(s) associated with OnStar. Please refer to the fuse section of your owner’s manual for instructions
and locations of fuse(s). The fuse panel will be under the hood of the vehicle on the driver’s side
behind the battery. In most cases there will be one (1) fuse in that fuse panel the OnStar system relies
on. See Figure A for an example. For 4.3L GM SUVs, follow the steps below to temporarily disable the
OnStar system.

When the OnStar system is successfully disabled, its indicator light on the dash or rearview
mirror will be OFF. Be sure that this light is off when the key is in the ON position (engine not running)
BEFORE programming the vehicle. This will ensure that there are no OnStar related problems

·
Army Strong
631 Posts
my uncle used to use onstar because he could use the hands free phone and didnt have to worry about wrecking..

but the scary thought that they can hear your convos..

but it is a good road side service... and for stolen cars

and if i had a 2007 corvette
i wouldnt dare touch it.. eventhough they can listen to my conversations.. i wouldnt care.. it would be broke into within a week i bet..

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

Disabling or tampering with the onstar may void certain parts of the warrenty..since it is NOT a user serviceable part..

ON an 07 Vette, I WOULD not change a thing until the warranty was up..Corvette service is EXPENSIVE if you have to pay cash for it.

·
299 Posts
If disabling ONSTAR does indeed void the warranty, I will never buy another GM vehicle.

Hmm, may have to look into that new shelby gt mustang instead of the new camaro.... You can do anything you want to a ford and keep the warranty, as long as it's not abuse.

·
Administrator
18,397 Posts
Can you not buy a GM vehicle without Onstar?....I would think it would be an option.........Of course, I come from a time when A/C was an option.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

I always thought it was a Subscription service, like a cell phone..(when it first came out) , since I have not bought a new Vehicle in a few years, The best option would be not to pay for it!

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
78novaman said:
If disabling ONSTAR does indeed void the warranty, I will never buy another GM vehicle.

Hmm, may have to look into that new shelby gt mustang instead of the new camaro.... You can do anything you want to a ford and keep the warranty, as long as it's not abuse.
Yep and get smoked by a 2007 ZO6 Vette too.
Vince

·
Army Strong
631 Posts
my uncle..

with the grand prix...

works at a GM dealership

and the radio has to cut out before anything can happen with onstar...

when they listen in.. it cuts all radio sound out

and it is a subscription service.. most of the time you get 6 months or a year free

·
299 Posts
302: Corvettes are nice, just not my style. I'd rather have a mustang/camaro/challenger.

MrPhotographer: Do you know how onstar integrates into the radio? Does it mute the radio or shut it off? Just wondering how a after-market radio would be affected.

·
Army Strong
631 Posts
78novaman said:
302: Corvettes are nice, just not my style. I'd rather have a mustang/camaro/challenger.

MrPhotographer: Do you know how onstar integrates into the radio? Does it mute the radio or shut it off? Just wondering how a after-market radio would be affected.

it mutes the raido

because MUTE i belive on some cars shows up..

then it goes back to the regular default screen and the onstar is activated

when you recive a call or if your car is stolen.. or a wreck happens..

they come on the radio and ask if you are alright.

when they are listening to you.. it says ONSTAR READY! and/or ONSTAR READY shows up on your radio screen

·
R Gassman
21 Posts
onstar info

First you can purchase a new GM without onstar, I have purchased 6- 2006/2007 duramax diesels and you can get them either way, but if you pick one up loaded off the lot they have it. Second, Verizon has the GM contract to provide the cell service to the Onstar program. It works mostly like your cell phone and once expired you can still use for an emergency. My story? we were on top of a mountains this winter, it was cold and we were tired, we had been working most of the night to build an emergency cellular site to provide cell coverage to help locate the James Kim family that was lost in the southern Oregon mountains, and you can guess the door of the truck was closed with the keys in the ignition and the motor running at about midnight. We were able to call onstar and give the vin and they opened the door. Nobody's listening but your vehicle is logging a lot of info, and they could listen if they so chose, but and I am in the communications field so I know, they cannot monitor or disclose what they hear unless they have a good reason and a fresh subpoena.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

Oh the Joy's of setting up a COW in the middle of the night , on a lonely mountain top, in the snow, a -2 degrees, and locking your keys in the service truck!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts