Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday at the Autolite nationals I saw something that I can't figure out. On the front of the body on a top fuel funny car there is a "handle". From what I understand asking someone, it is simply a "handle" to open the body up. But they don't look like a simple handle. They look like a diamond shaped "scoop" or air duct being the center is hollow tube. They just don't look like what you would think a simply handle would look like, especially on the front of a 300 mph car. If it were ONLY a handle I would think it would be much smaller to save on wind resistance and weight. But on a few cars this thing was pretty big. It makes no sense to me to put a "handle" like that on the front of a car that not only is harder to grasp and pull, a simple "T" handle would work better.

So my question is: Is that "handle" more than JUST a handle?

Ahhhh, I did find this photo that clearly shows this "device". It is diamond shaped with a hole in the center.

Brian

·
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am going to have to believe it, but it makes no sense to me that it would be so large and irregular shaped hanging off the front of the car. If I were making it, it would be WAY more aerodynamic. Am I over thinking this?

Brian

·
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, now you guys REALLY have me confused. It's for the fuel tank? HUH? It IS the handle to lift the body. But what else could it be along with the handle? Is it a vent for the fuel tank?

I am thinking at 300 mph that is a low pressure area and maybe the shape and size of the handle doesn't affect aerodynamics?

Brian

·
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cobalt327 said:
Top fuel rails also have the "scoop" on their bodywork, 'way up front. Same deal w/fuel as mentioned before.

The hole's just where the LATCH is located, most likely.
That is what I would think this latch handle would look like. But why the big "funnel" looking thing?

Brian

·
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Look at the one in this photo. http://www.flickr.com/photos/si558/2840507638/sizes/o/ the hole is even larger.

And on the subject of "Toyota top fueler". Just who is it that looks at that top fueler and thinks there is ANY connection what so ever with their Camry in the driveway?

Brian

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
MARTINSR said:
Just who is it that looks at that top fueler and thinks there is ANY connection what so ever with their Camry in the driveway?
What, your Camry isn't 20" tall, 25" wide and 44 feet long? lol

The NHRA actually gets w/the manufacturers and they make up templates a la NASCAR to keep the F/C's from getting any "funnier" than they already are.

My thoughts on the holes are they're going to be smoothed for aero whether or not it helps much, who knows. Plus you don't want a sharp edge for the crew member to get caught on.

Anyone remember the crew guy getting plowed into on the starting line, by the F/C? Don't remember who it was, maybe one of the Pendergon brothers.

·
Differential/Driveline
1,782 Posts
cobalt327 said:
What, your Camry isn't 20" tall, 25" wide and 44 feet long? lol

The NHRA actually gets w/the manufacturers and they make up templates a la NASCAR to keep the F/C's from getting any "funnier" than they already are.

My thoughts on the holes are they're going to be smoothed for aero whether or not it helps much, who knows. Plus you don't want a sharp edge for the crew member to get caught on.

Anyone remember the crew guy getting plowed into on the starting line, by the F/C? Don't remember who it was, maybe one of the Pendergon brothers.
You have a good memory! I remember that also. I found it on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgLiSBLJlXI

·
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
carsavvycook said:
That is the front body latch, and the hole is for the body stand pole when they are in the pit's.
That does make sense, damn I wish I would have solved this mystry while I was surrounded by a dozen funny cars. :rolleyes:

Brian

·
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
prostreet6t9 said:
You have a good memory! I remember that also. I found it on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgLiSBLJlXI
I have to tell you, I watched those guys climbing around those cars and thought of this subject. Those funny cars don't have good rear view mirrors and back up sensors if you know what I mean. One time a guy got under the car from a point I know the driver couldn't see. I thought I was going to see the guy die. But I guess they some some hand signals or something to alert the driver.

Brian

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.