Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My house was built it 65, the bathroom exhaust fans are original and they don't work anymore. I'd like to rebuild or replace the original motors instead of replacing the entire unit/housing.

Anyone here rebuild small electric motors, or know of a company who could rebuild mine or sell me something that would work?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know its not probably not too difficult, but I'm restoring this place and got too much on my plate right now, would rather send it out or replace with something somewhat identical. I don't want to buy a brand new whole unit/housing because the housing that's in the ceiling is a unique size. If I replaced it I'd likely have to cut sheetrock to fit and/or cut a hole so I could reach my hand in and attach the vent pipe to the new one

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
A large HVAC supply may be able to hook you up , they have catalogs with motor specs . look at broan/ nutone, they bought up air king & show several ,3.3" fan motors , one is 1550 rpm , one is 2800 ,.they're +- $100 , nobody , & I mean nobody rewinds motors , too expensive, . I've found in the past many small motors just need cleaning & lubrication , that motor is probably better than what you can buy today ..

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,459 Posts
I have to say, the new fans are so much quieter I would replace the whole unit. And if you want it to look vintage, just put the grille from the original fan on it.

Brian

·
16,459 Posts
They aren't only quieter they are more efficient too, removing what you do in there is their job and they do it better.
I don't know, I moved into a house with those old fans they were one of the first things to GO. Put new modern ones in.

Brian

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
They aren't only quieter they are more efficient too, removing what you do in there is their job and they do it better.
I don't know, I moved into a house with those old fans they were one of the first things to GO. Put new modern ones in.

Brian
Depends on attic access ( some houses have none) & code requirements ,could get real expensive if you are required to hire an electrician for the writing , an HVAC guy for the ducting & have it inspected . other things liked ceiling repair/ wall repair ,( switch / wiring changes) insulation to deal with , could get very expensive very quick for " maybe" a 5% efficiency gain . When you've been in the remodeling business for 40 years , you learn to look at ALL the associated costs

·
16,459 Posts
Yeah, I hear you, because I have ignored the building codes and just DO IT, I see things different than the pros who have to put up with that crap. I hear you. My last house fan improvement did work WAY better because of the ducting and the access. This one the access is limited and the original ducting could only be improved a little, it doesn't work as good as my last house for sure.

Brian

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I was still working heavy construction when I remodeled my home in the mid '70's , we had no codes MOL , I went in business for myself in the mid '80's & things were swell for about 10 years everybody knew you & your family & people doing schlock work didn't last very long . Then in the '90's with the influx of Chicago burbanites & their contractors , that small town trust was lost & then came the codes. I'll say this , with some of the " work"
I was called on to correct ,codes aren't all bad, its just a shame when trust & pride in your work went away ,codes & greedy inspectors were an expensive pain to deal with . I MOL retired 5 years ago ,
I miss the good parts ,but certainly not the hassles ...

·
16,459 Posts
Without a doubt codes aren't bad, I have always said without them...................you some pretty funky areas around the world. And believe me, when I say I have "ignored" the codes, I don't mean that I do crap. I just did home work and did things properly and didn't ask any permission.

Brian

Reactions: 2old2fast

·
16,459 Posts
Back to the fan, I know my local hardware store in my old home town had a BUNCH of motors on the shelves, I mean about 10 different ones and someone may have one you can just buy and install.

Brian

·
Registered
185 Posts
Looks like most fan motors used in summer that turn back and forth. The shaft is about that long once the fan blade is removed, and motor is about that size. you just have to fab up mounting brackets. just an idea.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.