Hot Rod Forum banner

Anyone seen this failure on a lower ball joint?

3K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  Lou7777777 
#1 ·
On my rod I have a Mustang II front suspension and the drivers side lower ball joint failed. See the pic. It literally broke the shaft just below the theads. My car is extremely low and when it broke (slowly backing up from checking the air in the tires) the frame went to the ground. Luckily for me it didn't brake when I was actually driving on the road. Has anyone seen this before? I installed a new ball joint from NAPA, SKU 2601042. The new part says "hardened shaft". Hopefully that will not happen again. Another issue I am now having is the nut on top of the new ball joint doesn't tighten down low enough to get a cotter pin in. What's up with that?
Bottle Wood Beer Gas Glass bottle

See less See more
#3 ·
I agree with 2Old, those Chrysler type ball joints usually stick thought a MII spindle too far to tighten properly. Most kits I've seen come with a spacer that goes under the nut. The spacers I've seen were around 3/16" thick (I'm working from memory).

Also, check the fit of the taper. If it is loose, then too much load will be on the nut. The taper should be close enough to "self lock". Any wiggle is too much.

Always use a torque wrench on ball joint studs. Very easy to over tighten them. Way too critical to safety to trust a calibrated wrist.

#4 ·
I understand what you are saying, BUT I have the opposite problem. I cannot tighten the nut enough for the cotter pin hole to even be visible in the top of the castle nut. Therefore I cannot put a cotterpin into the spindle. I idon't have a torque wrench. I am using a ratchet with a t0" handle. I'm not a young person and don't have the strength I used to so I would guess I should be able to tighten the nut as much as I can. Also, I don't know what the torque number is for this ball joint.

#7 ·
You say it doesn't hold up the car. There are only 3 stress related things connected to the hub. The steering ball joint, the upper ball joint and the lower ball joint. Tell me what holds up the front drivers corner of the car if not the lower ball joint? I thought the lower ball joint takes the weight and the upper just follows. Of course the steering connection is not weight bearing.

#14 ·
Thanks to all. By the say 2old2fast.....don't talk it personally. You're still on my read list.

I did not check the taper measurements the new BJ compared to the old BJ. I hate to do things over but it looks like I will need to AGAIN raise the body, remove the wheel, jack the lower control arm, remove the BJ nut and let the spline out to see if I can determine what the heck is going on.

#15 ·
While you are checking, make sure you have a 772 type ball joint (Moog number). There is a 727 ball joint that has a larger taper, but will screw into the 772 threads. I did modify a set of MII spindles to accept the 727, but it takes a 7* reamer.

The 727 is a true lower ball joint for large Chrysler cars. The 772 is an upper ball joint, but has been used by aftermarket manufacturers as a lower BJ in street rods. There has been a lot of debate over the years as to whether this is a good idea and occasionally you will read or hear about one failing, but I haven't heard of a failure in years.

The 727 has less travel than a 772 and will bind against the housing if the suspension has a lot of travel.

#16 ·
Unfortunately the one I currently am working with is a NAPA SKU 2601042. It does list it fitting many Chrysler/Dodge vehicles but I could not get any further specs. What you are telling me sounds like what my problem is....that the spline will not go into the housing because it is slightly larger. Maybe I should just go ahead and order a MOOG 772....what do you think?

#17 ·
Just thought of something else. If your suspension is Total Cost Involved (TCI) then it may have a different size lower BJ. Seems that I remember someone (may have been Fatmans) that changed their lower BJ sizes after a failure on a customers car. They may be using a proprietary size to prevent using what they consider the wrong BJ. It was TCI or Fatmans, may have been both. This was a long time ago and my memory is fuzzy.

As to brand, if I have a choice, I will use Moog every time.

#18 ·
I

OK, I went ahead and bought from Amazon the MOOG K772. Can't believe it was so much less than MOOG on line. Even getting it direct from MOOG it was twice the price. I did send an email to MOOG asking if the Amazon K772 was the same as the one they sell direct. Probably get it Thursday/Friday. I think I'll wait till that comes before I take any further action.

#27 ·
So.....You blow up the internet looking for some answers and yet, we don't even get a resolution?
Cheez Whiz man....
Got the correct BJ K772. Bought MOOG thru Amazon. Made in the USA on the box. $17. Taking apart the suspension to do the install.....find the bolt that goes between the two lower control arms and that holds the lower end of the shock BROKEN. Yikes! It was still holding the lower end of the shock but only with 1/2". Now I am looking for a new bolt. Also today I can see I need to wrestle getting the part that is stuck in out! If I can't get it out, I will post the problem.

#25 ·
I'd be willing to bet that it is a Chinese ball joint. I have a Heidt's in my Sedan Delivery and just did a 64 GTO convertible with all UMI American made trick front and rear suspension. We were considering a Pirate Jack's set up, but it is Chinese knockoffs of American designs. After reading about ball joint failures we stepped up to USA stuff instead of cheap get what you pay for Chinese junk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.