Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
More for Less Racer
20,932 Posts
I've noticed your other thread about the 7.5" Auburn posi unit with the busted spider gears, so I'll add this info to your questions about the Powertrax and similar "lunchbox" locker kits....

You cannot put them in a positraction differential case, they are made to only fit in an stock type open differential, the stock single track for example....the internal machined shapes of the positraction cases are different and the Powertrax won't fit in there.

You'd have to source a stock differential carrier of the correct ratio series (2 series or 3 series depending on what gearset you have) on order to add a lunchbox locker.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
use the Eaton position of the Eaton Truetrac
Do you use Ea. TRUETRAC?
I've noticed your other thread about the 7.5" Auburn posi unit with the busted spider gears, so I'll add this info to your questions about the Powertrax and similar "lunchbox" locker kits....

You cannot put them in a positraction differential case, they are made to only fit in an stock type open differential, the stock single track for example....the internal machined shapes of the positraction cases are different and the Powertrax won't fit in there.

You'd have to source a stock differential carrier of the correct ratio series (2 series or 3 series depending on what gearset you have) on order to add a lunchbox locker.
Yes i known.... I have open diff carrier

·
Registered
443 Posts
The cheap route is to find a 4 wheel drive S10 Blazer that someone is parting out and check to see if its a posi (probably is). Buy it and swap the posi unit out of it (and maybe the gears). Then put your open unit back in the Blazer housing and sell it to someone wanting a narrower rear. I "think" if memory serves me, that the Blazers are narrower than standard S10s.. Or you could see if the Blazer rear could be put under your truck and provide room for a slightly wider tire. Should be able to find a complete rear end for $100/$150.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use a richmond powertrax 31 spline on my cougar 9 inch it is a helix gear type so no clutches to wear out and on the street it corners QUIET unlike a locker that clicks and clanks. 460 ford 550hp and the best part is its at least $100 cheper than others.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts