Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone here has ever used Hipster's transbrakes in a TH 350 ,, I am having problems with it hanging up and will not disengage,, I talked to them recently and they gave me some things to check and I will try and do it this weekend. I was wondering if anyone could tell me there experiences with there products.
Thanks
Dan

·
Administrator
9,831 Posts
Dan,

you keep posting the same questions on the same problem. Lets see if I can help;

If the brake valve is sticking after you energize the solenoid , 1 of 3 things are happening.

1.... The valve it's self is sticking. I asked and you answered that there is a spring in front of the valve that should push it back after the solenoid releases.

Polish the valve with 400 grit paper gently. Do not round off the edges of the valve lands that ride in the bore. Perhaps the vlave is bent slightly? IF there is metal particles in there, something may be wrong inside the tranny generating the fine metal particles.

The direct clutch pack is abused in the normal tranzbrake operation. The frictions can wear quickly if the tranny is not setup porperly for tranzbrake use

2.... The solenoid is sticking. Does your solenoid have an exposed plunger on the end that moves in & out? Some solenoids are fully enclosed. Pull the solenoid out and check for proper operation with a 12 volt source.

3.... The valve is sticking hydraulicly(sp?). This happens when oil pressure of the tranny gets on both sides of the same valve land and "locks" the valve in place with oil pressure.

To check for this , energize the solenoid while the engine is running so the valve sticks as you post. Shut the engine off , this cancels the oil pressure inside the tranny! Without doing anything else, check the valve for movement or is it stuck?

Hopefully Hipster had some suggestions that will help you. I have used Hipster and other companies tranzbrake v-bodys for years. The listed problems are what I have seen.

We build tranzbrake v-bodies at my work. This sticking can happen to any companies tranzbrake setup.

EDIT: Not all tranzbrake valve bodies are built the same way. Each company has a "better" idea on fluid flow & release of pressure for faster reaction times.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: Transbrake

Thanks for the input Crosley, I did speak to Hipster and they said it could be the holes in the end of the valve stopped up or the softplug was never removed, he also said to use a thin cutoff wheel and open the vein in the end where the hole is all the way back to where the one is in the side, I am going to try and do this today and see what happens, I was curious if anyone runs these and see what kind of problems if any others were having,The only way to find out is to ask right? BTW it does have the plunger style selinoid with the disc on the back and after it sticks I can pull it back with my hand and push it back in ,, feeling no spring resistence, that tells me the valve is stuck inside the tranny, this is with the car not running, and it still wont release, to make it release I have to pull the selinoid and pull the valve back manually..
Well thanks for the input and I will keep calling Hipsters and keep goofing with it till I get sick of it and pull the tranny out.
Thanks for the input
Dan

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RE:

Crosley.
I tried to pul it apart to day and the modulator is stuck in the tranny, as in I can't pull it out even with needle nose plyers. maybe it is bent like you suggested, or the spring is crunched, don't know, but will keep messing with it
Thanks,,
Dan

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RE: Transbrake,

Crosley,
I used a long extension and tapped the valve and it came free, I pulled it out and sanded it and drilled the hole out in the tip of it then cleaned it real well and oiled it with tranny fluid and put it back in , put everything back together and operated it 200 times wthout the car running, seemed to be doing fine, then I cranked it up and pushed the button to back up and it worked 4 times then hung up again, do you think with the tranny under pressure it would make the spring coil crush but not without it running,even after I shut the car off it will not disengage I have to pull it apart and tap it with an extension and it comes free,, Please help,, any suggestions would be very appreciated..
Thanks
Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts