Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know how far from the top of the frame rails the the top of the crossmember is in the center...and also (since yer being so generous) if the rack and stuff is higher than the crossmemeber in the center, how much?

Thing is, I'm trying to put a 5.0 in my '36 Ford PU, the stock crossmember is too high for what I'm trying to do...and even then I have to split the wishbones to get things in correctly as well as do some hacking on the firewall.

My hope is the aftermarket crossmembers are lower...which would allow me to go with the IFS, sorta tuck it and slide it in and back, keep it low enough and not get into cutting too much of the firewall out.

Hope this make sense.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
I don't have the measurement but I can tell you that if you want to put a TCI IFS under that 36 and use a 5.0 you will need the rear sump oil pan. IIRC the one we used was a Milodon. A fox body mustang or small lincoln car will have a proper pan and oil pump pickup for your application. some vans and broncos have them also, but IIRC the ront sump is a little deeper.

You will need to have the crankshaft centerline above the top of the frame rails about 3/4" unless you want to notch the crossmember, like I've done here on this 40 PU with a windsor. The steering rack shouldn't be a problem because the pan will be located aft of it.

The customer did not want to change the firewall or floor. In order to fit it all in I had to notch the Cmember.I reinforced the inside of the crossmember with extra steel in the area of that notch.

I would call those companies and ask them what the measurement is, as they are different from company to company.

Hope this helps,
mikey

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent information and thanks for the pics...that's what I'm running into with the stock xmember...as you probably know, can't do any notching on it, or lowering of it, since it'll then raise the frontend up because of the traverse spring...grrrr...

regarding the rear sump pan, I looked into that, but I wonder if it'll really get you anything other than just using one drain plug?

I looked through several 5.0 oil pumps, and they all appear to be the same length.

Do you know of a shorter oil pump for the 5.0? If so, I could modify the existing double hump pan, just for test fit purposes.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just went out and took a quick look...with my stock crossmember and the oil pan about just about touching it, my crank centerline is a good 2 inches above the frame rails.

Looks lik running the aftermarket cross members will get me closer, and like you did, nocthing the crossmemeber will probably get me to where I want to be.

Damn Fords...were just made for a SBC, wern't they? ;)

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
LiftFlat said:
Do you know of a shorter oil pump for the 5.0? If so, I could modify the existing double hump pan, just for test fit purposes.

Thanks again.
Dry sump.

Mikey

·
Registered
452 Posts
Certain models of Broncos have a rear sump pan. They are usually comparitively spendy and a bit hard to find. You would need the oil pickup to go along with the pan.

I have no idea if they are still available new but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dunno gents...

Might be a better question asked on te engine forum...but as I see it, a rear sump on a 5.0...only get's you the ability to drain oil from the back of the engine...unless there is some type of shorter oilpump...I don't see how a rearsump pan will lower the front of the pan?

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Rear sump or "double hump" pan has 2 drain plugs. One in front , one in back.

There are no shorter oil pumps that I know of. The pump needs to be clear of the crankshaft. You are out of room for moving the pump closer to the block.

Rear sump pan.

That pan sits 1/2" below the bottom of the oil pump. It is a rear sump pan out of an 81 lincoln or a 5.0 mustang..
The depth of a standard front sump pan is 7 3/4"

The depth of a rear sump pan at the front is 5 3/4"

It is not a front sump or double sump as no oil is picked up from the front.

Let us clarify..What pan do you have now?

Later, mikey

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay...The light is on.

My engne is form a 93 Cougar....looks very much like you have pictured...I did a quasi-measurement, and the oil pump pretty much sits at the bottom of the pan (on the front).

I was under the impression a rear sump pan would look like a SBC/BBC pan...hence why I ws asking about a shorter oilpump...maybe some weird thing with an offset drive to get it away from the crank, and tuck it up inside closer to the block.

My pan closely resembles what you have in the pic...the pump in front (consumed by the "front" of the pan, and the oil pickup tube going up and around to the back "rear" sump.

SO I guess it's pretty clear now.

There's no way (unless I run a dry sump) to get the front of the pan up like a SBC/BBC or Y-block engine pan...

I think my best approach will be going with an aftermarket IFS to utilize the lower front crossmember..maybe notch it out as you've shown, and stick the engine where I want it to be.

Again...gotta say, these beast were built for a SBC;)

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
We just went through this with 42 Ford coupe about 2 weeks ago. We notched about 3/4 of an inch out of the top of the crossmember and welded plate back in. Call Street Rod Engineering, I believe he has one already notched. He's in the company reviews on this site, I highly reccomend him. Dan

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Chopt...looks like only a 1/2 more clearance is available with a different style pan...assuming mine isn't already getting me that 1/2in...

I'm gonna have to drop the bucks and go IFS...I was really triing to use my chromed dropped axle to...Guess I'll have to save it for the Dodge project.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.