Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
256 Posts
I have been welding for 47 years and there isn't any metal that doesn't give off some toxic fumes. Lead is the worst but others are bad also. Mild steel sheet metal is not so bad if it doesn't have any coatings on it such as Galvanise or Epoxy coatings, even some paints are bad. My advice is to clean the metal by grinding off all coatings and vent the area and weld it...GlennK :)

· Registered
256 Posts
Yes, galvanized is bad, but you can grind the galvanizing off on both sides and weld it with little or no zinc fumes. you only have to grind the weld area approx. 1 1/2 inches on both sides and it should be pretty safe. I think some of the epoxy coatings are worse than the galvanized. At any rate clean it good and you should be ok, orjust go and buy raw sheet metal from the steel supply and then you have no worries. If I worried about every piece of steel I welded I probably wouldn't have welded any thing together and I have welded almost every alloy known to man and welded nearly every working day. Tig..Mig. stick..Oxy-acetylene..Silver braze...Nearly all of it..I am 66 years old and retired and still welding in my garage and building chassis and what ever else I need to weld... I loved it when I started and I still love it. One day it may kill me but til then...Weld On....GlennK.. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.