Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I may have bit off more than I can chew!

If anyone can give me the following measurements for an aod it would be helpful.

@From front edge of trans to back of pan (lowest point of pan)
@ From front edge to end of tail.
or a site with measurements, if you know of one.

Looks like I have 1 inch of room to play and I have not bought the aod yet because was not sure if front input shaft would need to be changed out.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.
Barry

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
??????

Now I am curious..what are you trying to do..??

OMT

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trying to put AOD to a 312 y-block
and thats not a problem as two different companies make adapters for this but being a 57 t-bird with an X-Frame is going to be an issue. (312 in picture)
One company wants all this elaborate modifications done and "says" the other company that is simple and straight forward will not work in T-Bird.
Also problem with T-bird is engine comes out to get trans out (done)

All apart and trying to figure what way will work.

Reason being cautious about this one way will cost me about $2000 the other way $4300. with same net result.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Can't do anything about the length of the input shaft.
Well you could but it wouldn't work.
Like the other fellow said.
What are you doing?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the one company want a new input shaft to fit C-4 torque converter for clearance $275 for shaft.

Now measuring to see if AOD pan with other adapter will clear X_in frame that the other guy say won't.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats what I figured because of the pressure and to sell me the whole kit for $4500 plus freight.

If he wants a 11" converter I can have one made for an AOD and when I bring stuff like this up I get all this double talk around the bush.
Funny thing, using old math it looks like the other guys system will work .
Going to remeasure.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Can not imagine

Barry,

I owned a 55 bird and cannot imagine what these guys are talking about?? the underneath of those cars are just plain ole ford..

Lemmee see here..maybe $50 for some steel to make a new tranny mount...My driveline guy wants 60 to cut a drive shaft..and then a kickdown cable and some brackets for that..A shifter to fit that tranny..$150 maybe depends on what you want..Probably $500 for parts total + the adapter..

Ya got the adapter you need..what else is there?? Speedo cable maybe..??

In any case nowhere near what these guys want..

OMT

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The one guy wants to send trans, the $2000 price is my figures with the other guys kit and buying an AOD plus changing drive shaft end and all the little stuff like you mentioned.
I know on regular fords its been done for 1500.
Most of money will depend on AOD that i buy.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Makes sense now

Barry,

A 2k parts bill for this now makes sense depending on where you get the converter and AOD at..

As far as fitting it in as I remember..(been a long time) those ford-o-matics were farily large and most anything would fit in the spot that a ford-o-matic vacated..

Good Luck

OMT

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What a bunch of bull.
The AOD is within 1/2 inch to 1 inch on all the measurements and I have 4" either way I can go and that does not count I had the engine back all the way for fan cooling.
The spacer is 1.5 inches.

I was planing on doing this whole thing over Xmas and because of his bull, it will be January.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
At least

With some measuring and chatting so to speak saved ya a pile of cash..and maybe some heartburn..:pain:

take care

OMT:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Re: At least

OneMoreTime said:
With some measuring and chatting so to speak saved ya a pile of cash..and maybe some heartburn..:pain:

take care

OMT:thumbup:
That was nice of you to say that!
My wife said how could you be so stupid and gullible!

I want to thank you and Stu for setting me straight.
Barry

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Another hotrodder story, if they say it cannot be done, and you forgot to listen to them and did it and by some odd chance it worked, you are either crazy in their eyes for even trying it and an innovator for DOING it, or a HOTRODDER and did something a little different that worked and are happy with a pat on the back from yourself and a "good job" from others, that satisfies you.

Keep us updated, and make sure to take pics, someone else might want to try this and may need help later on.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will do that!

Everything has been ordered as far as adapter kit and as of this morning Trans is going to be built next week by friend of son.

I have kept this car original over the years (except inside engine) so only minor things I will have to engineer is shifter linkage and instead of TV cable
I'm going to use the existing kick down rod for adjusting and may have to lengthen to do that, so I can keep the bell-crank look.
Drive shaft may need to be cut, not sure yet.
Aod will need a trans cooler that I don't have now.
Will need to redo trans mount.

·
Registered
301 Posts
AOD Info

Check this out for some good AOD type info.

For about the same outlay, you can end up with a bulletproof good performing trans or a hopped up trans that still has weak points.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article80.html

Maybe also check out www.baumannengineering.com for possible swap info, also

www.ronmorrisperformance.com
he's got a bunch of C4 to AOD swap info, might also know about your swap

good luck, sounds like a great project!

This site should have info and parts for
adapting an AOD type trans to a Y block

www.transmissioncenter.net

This link narrows it down more -
scroll down a tad over 1/2 way on
this page till you start seeing adapters.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/AOD.htm

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Macx, two of them helped a lot.
over last week I have spent hours on the Transmission center and Baumanenginerring sites.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts