Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about to start a rebuild on an AOD, but when I got to looking at the unit, I realized it's an early (1981) tranny. I know there are issues with those early ones, but can they be overcome with a good rebuild kit and the appropriate shift improver kit? It's going into my '65 Mustang which is your basic "Road Trip" car. Rarely rodded, but on occasion it's fun to put that 351W to work. I don't want to put time and effort into this if I can't make it right. It's a freebie, so making it work puts me $$$ ahead.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Early AOD suffers from several issues. All can be overcome.
Most of the issues are hard part related and can only be determined by teardown and part inspection. The list is not easliy summarized.
Tear it apart, get a good overhaul and valvebody kit, learn the TV related issues and installation requirements and go for it.
This is NOT the trans I would have a beginner try out. Endplay, proper assembly and clutch clearances, band adjustment, bushings,.....

Perhaps you should consider the local trans shop; a quality rebuild and converter is ~ $900.

·
Registered
576 Posts
aod

early or late all have 3rd gear trouble, you can change direct drum to later style(more clutch plates) install late valve body and late 3rd accumulator. shift kit would be a good upgrade. and if you have access to a 4r70 w transmission (94 up mustang ,crown vic or pickup ) you can use gear train for a low ratio 1st and 2nd. you might look for another core all the way to 93 just before the went all electronic .aod was a very good transmission suffered from gear ratio issues in direct, caused from direct shaft to converter drive plate. but thats for another day's discussion

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
You'll love the OD. They installed them behind 351w in the Vics in the late 80s..... in the salvage yard look for a "square body" Vic with a variable venturi carburetor... that's a Windsor. (5.0s had fuelie)

Generally they will take a lot more abuse than most people realize. Use Mobil 1 ATF.

Don't forget the Windsor has a 28 oz balance (5.0 has 50 oz) :thumbup: and you need a flexplate for that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.