Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read in a mag about a way to find the highest airflow in an intake tube. apply a bead of around the inside of the tube,that way, the faster airflow will spread the grease ,letting you know where the highest flow is at. has any one any other tricks like this?

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Cleaning up your intake?

Are you palnning to port and polish your intake to make it flow better?

Tazz

Rat Rod Rule!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what i want to do is try to direct the faster airflow into the opening of the throttle,so that the airflow does not just hit the spindle.

·
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS
1,545 Posts
I can tell you that a straight air intake is gonna flow better than one with bends. :drunk:

Was this article in a ricer mag? :D

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,814 Posts
Machinist's dye works well for finding the highest concentration of wet air flow. With you shop vac hooked up and sucking air through the port. Spray a two second shot through the intake side of say... a head or intake or whatever. The darker area's show more air flow then lighter area's. It's not the best way but a cheap way to get a good idea of what's going on.

·
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS
1,545 Posts
sc2dave said:
i read in a mag about a way to find the highest airflow in an intake tube.
I don't know why someone would think you read that in a magazine. :confused:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SORRY, BstMech!!! i forgot about that!! i was writing another reply in another forum , and i got them a little mixed up

·
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS
1,545 Posts
Whew......I thought maybe I was seeing things there for a minute!:D

·
machinest & A&P Mechanic
363 Posts
that layout die trick... wouldnt the inertia of the die flowing through the air just make it smack the surfce just past the bend? i guess i dont understand what your trying to do... trying to find the highest velocity point in the tube/runner?

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,814 Posts
I found the article in a magazine and decided I liked the theory enough try it own my own. Obviously, the pics in the mag. gave better indications than my test's, but with a little practice and experience with head porting I think it would work as a good indicator. The main objective is to give indications of wet flow trouble area's. Since the dye is supposed to act the same as fuel in suspension, you looking for the walls and crevices and corners the dye has struck. Then with this information modeled, you can further change port locations and achieve a more homogeneous mixture and less fallout, producing power or mileage.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you guys have the right idea, but i am looking to find out the fastest airflow from the filter to the throttle body, so no fluid would be present,just the airflow.

·
machinest & A&P Mechanic
363 Posts
humm fastest airflow.... then wouldnt you want to use a smaller diameter pipe? or you just want volume? lol put a venturi in their and the air will flow fast thought it :) sorry if i aint helping.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts