Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a little dilemma here which I am pretty embarrassed about: I'm in the process of filling out my Electrical Apprentice application form through the IBEW union here in Ontario and have come upon something that isn't sitting well with me. They say they will not accept any applicants who do not have their grade 12 diploma. I do not have my grade 12 diploma. This in no way make me incompetent or less intelligent. I have post secondary training in electronics and in mathematics. I am currently enrolled in an Electrician diploma course for which I have been holding a 99% average. Does anyone know if these types of training programs enforce this policy, or are they flexible in regards to it? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Around here you can't even get a job flipping burgers at Mickey Dees without a diploma. So most get their GED. But some places are getting to the point that the GED takes second to an actual diploma. Smarts has nothing to do with it. It's the piece of paper. In factories now the only way you can work your way up thru the ranks is with a college diploma. All other people are just general laborers now. My opinion would go get your GED. It could take a few weeks or it could take considerably longer depending on whether you could pass the test or not.

Kevin

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
I am surprised that you could get any post secondary education without your high school, or at least equivalent. You can take a "High School" equivalency course. It is quite short and is basically just testing you to see if, as a "mature" student, that you are at that level. My wife went through it when she went back to school a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
Most places are pretty sticky about the GED, at my current job I had to provide proof.

Better get it Forkliftguy, you will need it.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Can't you find work for a non-union electrical contractor? I've worked for one for the past three summers. Most of the electricians I worked with liked not being in the union.

Kevin45 said:
But some places are getting to the point that the GED takes second to an actual diploma.

Kevin
Very true, I've heard it called the Good Enough Diploma.

·
il enforcer
75 Posts
Don't lie about it unless this job is only a short term thing. Eventually someone ( maybe a new manager ) will want to see it. My uncle had a grade 8 education and had been employed for 30+ years when a new company took over. He had to get his diploma, not a GED, or lose his job.

He who has the gold makes the rules.

·
Move It On Over!
227 Posts
I'm a former apprentice from Newport News Shipbuilding Apprentice School.

I would call them up and explain your situation. Maybe they make exceptions. The worst is that they may require it no matter what, then you will need to find out what needs to be done. In the US, it's the "GED" - General Equivalence Diploma, don't know what Canada has. Since you have already taken additional, post high school classes, maybe they will make an exception. Ask to speak with the Dean if you don't like the answers you get.

I wouldn't tell them you have it because if they ask about it, then you are in a pickle.

Good luck!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys, if I do it the honest way I guess I'll have to ask them about it and see if they will bend. I had another plan which seems dishonest, they only want a photocopy of the high school transcript, so I was toying with the idea of altering my wife's transcript and giving them that. If they ever did want to see the real one down the road though, I'd be screwed.

Ghetto Jet said:
Can't you find work for a non-union electrical contractor? I've worked for one for the past three summers. Most of the electricians I worked with liked not being in the union.
I have called around and every none union outfit seem to be on hold for now on their hireing and most of the places here only hire apprentices through the union.

Thanks,
Marc

·
Registered
169 Posts
...the glasses they will tinkle as their eyes begin to twinkle, they'll think no more of INCO on a Sudbury saturday night...

Talked to a sparky the other day, and he said you have to have the OSSD or equivalent. I didn't ask him specifically, he just told me that if I want in, that I would have to have it. He was a member of the Hamilton and Toronto locals. Who wants to be a sparky anyway? All you do is fish and pull your wire all day. Oh hey, that wouldn't be a bad job...

Call up the mighty brotherhood and ask them what you can do, maybe they'll give you a break if you do it concurrently. I wouldn't do the dishonest thing, you might be union president (king of the coffee breakers) one day and it all comes out in the wash. You never know, they may check if you become a foreman, oh, oh, then there's those evil brothers that don't like you...

·
Get out the ducktape...
213 Posts
Hey forklift Im sorry to say but the unions are very strict about high school education. My Grandfather, father, and uncle have worked for the electical union in Albany, Georgia from the time they got out of high school. They all have high school diplomas. It is just a requirement. But as for liking it, the union has many likes and dislikes just like anything else. After my grandfather died in 1993 the union has really taken care of my grandmother since. Sometimes work is few and far between but it has always put a roof over the family's head. Good luck with whatever happens man.

·
Registered
547 Posts
UNION

For what its worth, I personally would do whatever it takes to get the correct paperwork to get into the union,, not many non union jobs offer ANY type of retirement, GOOD wages, job, insurance, stability and general career potential,
I was in the Carpenters union for 30 years, and retired in 2000 with a pension that will take care of me and my family untill my wife passes away, including life and health ins, and the elec union is even better, just my opinion, BILL:)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of the help guys, I will talk to the IBEW, and if they still won't budge, I guess I'll go the honest route. Anytime I've tried to be sinister it's mostly always come back to bite me in the a*s. Not worth losing out on a good career. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
Marc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.