Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this question in my other thread a few days ago.

I am putting in a used 700r4 into my truck this week in place of the 350 thats in it. I think I have most or all of my questions answered except two.
I also have another 700 with a blown planetary and sun gear so its a core for parts. That tranny came out of my 84 camaro z28. The tranny im getting is out of an 86 suburban.
One of my questions is which torque converter would be more appropriate at least for the time being?
My truck has a new 370hp/390tq and I think the rear is 3.09, the engine tends to pull better currently at a higher rpm. The truck is obviously pretty heavy.
Should I use the camaro TC or the suburban TC. This is a temp setup until I can get a new tranny next spring.
The other question is regarding the spedo. Ive run into a problem before switching from a 700 to a 350 with the spedo cable not being able to work properly the spedometer always read way high, will I run into this problem again but this time my spedo will read way low?

·
Registered
66 Posts
converter

I would say that if I had a unit that only wiped out the frictions I would reuse the converter but when you puke a planet you get metal in the transmission. I would use the converter that was in the unit with the bad planet as a core and go get a new converter. If you go EL CHEAPO you can get a Dacco for $59.00 with core or get a good Precision for $145.00 with core.
Just my thoughts....

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
the 84 camaro converter may be a 27 spline input shaft converter.

The 86 tranny will be a 30 spline input shaft converter.

They can not be swapped if the spline counts are different

1 - 3 of 3 Posts