Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running some cheap no-name headers on a small block chevy and they seem very "tinny". You can really hear the tss-tss-tss of the exhaust gasses rushing into those thin tubes. I know that this is common to a degree with headers in general. Are Hedman Elites any quieter? They are a heavy 14 gauge (cheap headers seem to be about 18 gauge) have thick flanges and are coated. Would any of that help to soften the header noise?

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
yes the heavier gauge headers can help..the question is how much..you can try some header wrap on your existing headers as well..Dunno what your expectations are though..

Sam

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know they'll never be as quiet as iron exhaust manifolds. I wondered if wrap might help but was worried about all the horror stories of wrap killing headers quickly through rust and metal fatigue.

·
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought
829 Posts
Louder mufflers will help to minimize this problem. ;)

Sounds like a smart ***** answer, but I have used a variety of different headers on cars and trucks since the mid 70's and have never heard what you are describing?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm running some cheap no-name headers on a small block chevy and they seem very "tinny". You can really hear the tss-tss-tss of the exhaust gasses rushing into those thin tubes. I know that this is common to a degree with headers in general. Are Hedman Elites any quieter? They are a heavy 14 gauge (cheap headers seem to be about 18 gauge) have thick flanges and are coated. Would any of that help to soften the header noise?
I had Hedman Elite headers in my Nova and they were much better and quieter than crappy cheap headers that i removed.
Elites have thick tubes, thick flanges and ball socket collectors.
Fitment was perfect, no hammering needed.I can recommend those headers.:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Glad the Elites sound better. Actually, I went to a quieter exhaust for my little one and that's when the noise became most noticable. I used to always run Dynomax headers (which I don't think are available now) and I don't remember the noise being this loud. It was there, all headers do it to a degree (only manifolds totally kill it) but not so bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.