Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm just starting to get a feel for this board as it seems like an excellent resource. In the mean-time I was wondering if anyone here has ever had a problem with their hood release cable snapping. E.g. Is there any way to pop the hood without taking the front end off. The car is a 1969 corvette with a 1973 front end.

cheers to all and thanks in advance

·
Registered
96 Posts
this happened to me on a trans am ...god i hate replacing those things bumper in the way fan in the way engine in the way core support in the way radiator in the way in a snapped wire you might be o.k mine totally seized and had to be replaced but i should imagine its just as much of a drag.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Here's what worked on my 74 Vette. The hood release system is a two part system. 1. the release cable pulls a body mounted lever and catch assembly located on the drivers side just aft of the brake master cylinder. 2. that sides hood mounted pin assembly has a second lever with a cross cable to the passenger side pin assembly. This lever is tripped by the first and releases the passenger side hood release assembly.... I fished a gas welding rod with a small loop on the end thru the back side of the hood, caught the cross cable and pulled it firmly. This popped the passenger side hood release. That allowed me to lift the right side of the hood enough to see the left side linkage, hook it and release the left side. Kinda like the coat hanger and door handle routine. It takes a little patience but it's better than the alternative. Good Luck.:thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.