Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Self-made nobody.
80 Posts
My opinion would be to buy it if the price is right and the condition of it is decent.

There should be plenty of used parts for it, lots of interchangeable driveline components fit it, some reproduction stuff available if you need some, and it'll be way different than vehicles driven by most people your age.

It should be a lot less expensive to repair if something mechanical or electrical goes wrong with it because parts for cars like that have been around so much longer.

It also is a pretty straightforward vehicle in that it doesn't have any computer controlled elements (that are more expensive to replace) so by working on it you will obtain a decent introduction into basic mechanics and operational principals of engines and other drivetrain and electrical components. It is beneficial to know how to work on newer computer controlled vehicles but most of the time you simply replace modules; there is little mechanical aptitude required for that.

Hopefully its in good condition, but even if its in sad condition you'll then obtain a wider variety of hands-on skills and experience if you do all that needs to be done to make it safe (key word!) to drive and looking decent.

You'll probably get ribbed for driving a big older American-made car like that but, there are lots of benefits for doing so.

Go for it, and good luck! You're already ahead of the game by asking questions and utilizing a good resource such as this place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks a lot hoodoo for your reply. im only going to get it for 2000. its my uncle car, its in the best condition. i can tell that i like working on cars especially classic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.