Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally decided to have my driveway paved with asphalt. It is currently covered with a dirt/gravel mix. Is there any concern with having this done if the temperature is below freezing? Will this effect the longevity and quality of the paving?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've read that concrete won't set correctly in fridged conditions. I'm not sure about asphalt. Why can't you wait till the weather is better?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could wait until Spring if the asphalt is effected by the cold temps. If the temperature does not have an effect on asphalt then I will have it done now.
I would love to do concrete but my driveway is way too big and it would cost a fortune!

·
Start those projects someday
556 Posts
The city where I live wont pave if the temp is under 50 deg. Last year they repaved at 50 deg and the street came up with holes in it when the weather warmed up. This was repave project not new construction.

·
Registered
599 Posts
You could do it if you could find a plant still making asphalt in winter. All you would have to do is blanket the site and get the ground temp over 50 dg and keep it there for about three days for the asphalt to set. Probably have to house it to so It could be properly laid and rolled before it cools. Of course, the site prep would be a little shaky. You could maybe ahh forget it. You aren't going to find anyone that will fire their plant for 20 yards of asphalt till spring. and if you did, your name says it all. :)

·
NEVER satisfied !
58 Posts
Are the prices for asphalt drives based on square feet or something else? I know its a dumb question but........

What are the prices in places other guys live ?

·
Lost in the 60's
15,258 Posts
Wait untill Summer....the hotter and drier the better. If you did it now you would be wasteing your money as it would not hold up.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Asphalt prices are usually based on aplaced yard. A small quantity job is going to be a lot more expensive than a large job because it takes all the same equipment to do it and most of the time each piece will be setting waiting for another piece to get out of the way. You may find that concrete is competitive on a driveway project under 2 hundred feet. :)

·
NEVER satisfied !
58 Posts
Very useful information here. Using HR.Com is better than picking up the phone. We can get more than one opinion. Thanks, guys !! 454 Rattler

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Yep. You had better wait. All crews quit around November around here until it gets back up to at least 50 degrees and stays there.

Kevin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts