Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know how the pinion gear is kept against the ring gear in a Banjo rear end? The rear end I salvaged from the junk was used for a trailer and the torque tube has been cut of about 18 inches from the bolt flange. I think there should be a bearing and maybe some kind of retainer. When I took the flange(portion of the tube) off the rear end has a tapered hole like it needs a bearing So..... Do i need a bearing among other parts?

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
Yes, there is a tapered roller baring or two there. What are your plans? If you want to convert it to an open drive line, you will either need to buy a kit (there are a couple of them out there) or my preference $-wise is to find a pickup rear end which is open drive line with conventional U-joints.

See this
or this sexier one!

Also this article; Rod & Custom Magazine, "Open and Shut Case", open drive-line conversion for an early ford rear end, January, 2004, page 68.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I am still messing around with this AA truck that doesn't want to become a hot rod. I was able to find some more components to make it a ratty. I would love to find a pickup rear, I had a Hell of a time finding this banjo and thought I was in luck to find it with hydraulic brakes. I will put my feelers out again to see what's out there. In Upstate New York most stuff you find is returning back to the earth. What are the year(s) pickup and was it a smaller pickup or a larger one that had those type of rear ends? You have been a great help and I appreciate your quick responses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.