Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have just about most of my '65 Impala primed. I have reinstalled the front fenders and I am trying to work my way to the back. I have the doors and door hinges primed. The hinges are disassembled and waiting for new bushings. Once I get the bushings I plan on assembling the hinges and mounting the doors. Line everything up and fill the low spots. After all of the body work is complete do I remove the doors and hinges again, paint the jambs and the disassembled hinges? Or do I leave everything together and paint as is? If I do the second choice and someone removed the door and hinge they would see just primer. Is there a correct way of doing this or is it just a matter of how much time I have?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
There is no right or wrong way to do this. Just depends on how detailed you want to be. Since you are taking such car with the build, might as well paint the hinges off the doors, paint the door jambs and door edges, then assemble. It is common to paint the jambs and door edges, install the doors on the car then paint the car and doors at one time. I prefer that method because it allows me to get a better color match. With my meager skills, I don't have good luck painting panels separately.

I like to have the hinges powder coated instead of painted which is much more durable but colors aren't easy to match. The color scheme on my '53 Chevy pickup is white fenders and lemon yellow body so I powder coated the hinges white.

3,214 Posts
What is correct depends on what you want to do. If you take the hinges off of most cars, they are not painted "body color" under them. I personally would paint the inside of the door and hinge pillars where the hinges mount before installing the hinges. Then paint with the fenders off. That way everything is painted, including the bolts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.