Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im a new poster but long time lurker. I do trim work here is SD and as of recently California has outlawed the use of the weldwood landau (blue can) contact cement because it is bad for the environment. So now they sell us only the weldwood 2146 which works but it uses Methelene Chloride as its solvent instead of acetone. Well when my local keyston guy handed me a MSDS sheet with my contact cement I became suspicious. Yes, methelene chloride is toxic and a carcinogen, also the only respirators that protects against the vapors are supplied air respirator and SCUBA systems. So Im wondering if i should even continue using it or does anyone know of an alternative product that we can use in California. I called the Keyston locations north of SD and they all have to sell the new stuff.
Thanks,
Toby

·
First name...............Shawn
631 Posts
Damn that would suck. See, its better for the environment but it will kill you. Arent we a part of the environment too?

Sorry but i cant help you on the adhesive, we dont have many restrictions here in indiana.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Krist

Thanks anyway Krist. To make matters worse the cement is not colored...it is a clearish whiteish color...you cant see it! EPA has been checking upholstery shops and anyone that has the old stuff cant spray it anymore but they will let you use it up by brushing it on. Its a delima for sure!
Toby

1 - 3 of 3 Posts