Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a 79 riviera that i've been slowly putting back together (the poor thing was lowered [among other things]... incorrectly... by the previous owners)
in any case, i recently replaced the front brake pads.. which were working fine before hand- except for the squeal of death from the passenger side..
now the squeal is gone, and the right side is fine.. but i could not for the life of me get any fluid to bleed from the driver side during any part of the swap.. and now i LOSE all pressure when the car is ON (it seems ok when off) and the driver side is stuck fairly well shut (on or off), thus revoking my ability to drive.. i've skimmed the knowledge base and couldn't find anything- and read innumerable posts relating to stuck pistons and bleeding problems and what have you.. i've considered debris in the line- (and other mechanical blockages) and cant think of anything else.. i'm no idiot , but i'm no mechanic, either.. any ideas?

ps- jah the bleeder valve is ok

·
Registered
290 Posts
Brake Lines

advanced & milner hit it on the nose. GM had the worst problem with the rubber lines that go to the caliper's closing up with age. You may want to replace BOTH front rubber lines to the calipers and bleed the system out again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
guys want to hear something funny?

i pulled the car back into the garage- and couldn't find anything wrong with it.. which disturbed me to no ends (i dont like problems that just come and go as they please) so i did some investigative journalism and found that the rotors were in fact warped- but not as badly as i imagined.. so got new rotors- all's well there.. the break lines were FULL of air- but that was easy to alleviate.. just dumped new fluid in and bled the hell out of them.. and the pistons weren't stuck open as i had thought- in fact they were fine- the problem was the new wheels i had gotten from les schwab (i swear those guys are on something) didn't jive with the brake assembly and the pads i had put on actually came in contact with the rims- and by the time i figured that out i had already worn a quarter-inch of steel right off the metal backing of the pads... but all is well now as the pads gave way faster than the rims (for that would have resulted in a can-opener type effect and i would have had real problems..) so thanks a bunch.. and what have you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.