Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say I'm not an Auto Body Painter. I'm a First Time Do-It Yourselfer. I had my ATV metal parts sand blasted and I put 2 coats of self etching primer down and then just sprayed the Speedokote Urethane Black 2 nights ago. Now I'm being told I have to put epoxy primer/sealer over the urethane primer. Is this correct. I just purchased the Transstar 2k epoxy primer sealer. Wanted to make sure I'm going about this right. I've invested alot of time and money in materials and Prep work. I was told to use urethane primer because the House Of Kolors Pearl paints and Kandys are urethane based and you can not intertwine them. I would appreciate any help

·
The Penny Pincher
1,948 Posts
No, you don't have to use epoxy.
The etch took care of the bare metal and urethane primer is perfectly fine to paint over.
Some will argue that epoxy increases adhesion of the paint but epoxy is mostly used for
bare metal before paint. Urethane primer gives a good bond to paint.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
No, you don't have to use epoxy.
The etch took care of the bare metal and urethane primer is perfectly fine to paint over.
Some will argue that epoxy increases adhesion of the paint but epoxy is mostly used for
bare metal before paint. Urethane primer gives a good bond to paint.
Yep, self etching over clean bare metal and you are good to go. Your choice of primer is a good one, and your paint job should last for a long, long time!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts