Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day, I am in Northern Australia and have been drag racing on and off for 15 years, my street utillity now spends all it's time on the drag strip. It runs a naturally aspirated all iron 383 SBC, turbo 400 and has 4 link suspension. Currently running a 10.21 @ 128mph, 1.44 60', I am pretty happy but want to get it into the 9 sec region with basically the same set up, I intend adding :welcome: :welcome: a custom set of pipes, transbrake and a roller cam. I have been visiting Hotrodders for a while now and find some of the chat very informative. look forward to having more involvement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
re aussie ute

What sort of ute is it? I thought of doing a ute(power:weight thing) but found an HQ sedan that was too good to pass up 90000 kms no rust owned by an elderly gent who took it to the football and thats all. was 202 with a trimatic now running a mild 350 T400 with stock whitewalls all round.
what sort of carb are you running in that thing?
I haven't posted any photos yet of may car but if you see a gregory's HQ manual lying around thats pretty much the same as mine except my car scrapes asphalt. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a HQ

It's an aluminium tray back HQ 1 ton ute, complete with the original 1 ton grille weighs about 1100kg with me in it and the fibreglass front clip, will post a couple of photo's in the near future when I work out how to reduce the file size

·
Registered
639 Posts
The smoke from the bushfires is keeping me out of the shed but one of my current projects is a body off on the HQ ute I've had since 82. It's a 30 over 400 with 220 cc pro lightnings (made in Towoomba) and a BABY cam dynamics hydraulic. Its my tow car so I'm shooting for mid 12s on lpg with a smooth idle and good bottom end. It'll weigh about 1750 with me in it - a/c, p/s,t700,cd stacker and tools.
Where are ya ? I've been over a lot of the top end - in this ute. Tell us about your combo, let's see if we kin help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am in Humpty Doo just out of Darwin. My engine has a 3.750 stroke 5.7" rods, Dart II heads, 12.7:1 compression. Intake is a Hilborn/Kinsler setup, 2 5/16", running methanol. The current cam is a Crane flat tappet260/270 duration @50', 106 degree lobe separation. Looking at a roller maybe slightly larger duration on the Intake and a wider lobe separtaion. I should leave the line around 4500rpm with the transbrake. I have a pretty good tune up on the 4 link so traction is not too much of an issue. Mid 12 would be doing very well with such a heavy car, great to have a nice fast car as a daily driver, you get to hose most of the Commodores too. I have owned mine for 18 years and had much fun on the street, miss that a bit.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Don't go too wide on the lca - long strokes seem to like narrower lca (piston is faster past tdc than a short stroke). You've got plenty of duration too, hows the mid lift flow on your heads?
Those new falcodores are around the 17/1800 kg mark without a middle aged man in them. I better have a beer, I just got home from Albury and nearly hit a pony at 110km in my VS Statesman.
See ya, Ian.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.