Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,734 Posts
The major concern is the hardware. Cheap ones are made cheaply and so if you are planning some occasional jobs then it's not a worry. Extended periods with cheap hardware and heavy helmets will wear on you after a while. The lenses themselves aren't whole lot different. I have a Nexgen with a lightweight hood, the lightest on the market and it's great for me to wear all day when needed although the batteries are 2350 coin batteries and not always as easy to find like a AAA battery so might wanna look at that. I buy mine from Amazon and just order 10 at a time so they are always around.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Side note regarding auto darkening helmets is how mine works. Got a good deal on one from a welder supply which was being bought out. Had not used it in a while and when I did it flashed me before going dark. Set it in the sun to charge the batteries but that didn't seem to help. Called the company and they gave me some eye opening (pun) info. Their battery is embedded in the circuit board. The sun will not charge the battery or will it cause the lens to darken! There helmet works off the blue spectrum which welding gives off. As far as the flash goes, they told me if I don't use it for a while the battery goes "to sleep". When using for the first time just look away or close you eyes for a second when stricking the first arc and the battery will wake and operate correctly after that. I like the helmet and works better than low end ones.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,734 Posts
The sun will darken mine. I thought all hoods were required to have the lenses filter even if the battery is dead.
Maybe that don't darken, but still filter harmful stuff.

·
More for Less Racer
19,505 Posts
The sun will darken mine. I thought all hoods were required to have the lenses filter even if the battery is dead.
Maybe that don't darken, but still filter harmful stuff.
Yes, that is how thay work, even in light mode they protect you from the damaging rays. It'll just be too bright to see and weld when it isn't darkened.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
A pro welder friend said over several years I had bought several under $ 50 helmets. told met to buy a good one that will last the rest of my life. I sprung for a Lincoln 3350 on sale It is great. the friend had 2 in his shop. and My grand son has been taking welding classes in high school and learned more than I did in my college welding class in the early 60's.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
My stuff is split between Idaho near yellowstone and 30 mile south where 2 of my sons live. I saw the HF wire feed on sale last year when we were going to australia and told my son to buy me one. I need a carry around welder to fix metal farm gates, etc. My grand son said it welded ok. In the south shop I have a lincoln SP 200 Mig, Airco AC DC High Freq used for stick. one of my sons has my old lincoln ac tomb stone at their house. I saw the HF 125 wire feed at HF return table for $ 100, someone had poked the tip into the puddle. Now we have a little green box at both locations. Up here I have my Lincoln Square wave 255 TIG with a water cooled torch, thumb control or pedal . The next step is to teach my grandson to TIG. My eyesight is failing, but at 79 I am doing better than my older brother and sister did at my age. Our emphasis has shifted to Model T speedsters, My son bought the one that was in the movie Red Fury and after a couple weekends drove it around the block. Mine need to get back together. The 3 rd one will take a year of spare time to finish.

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,049 Posts
I have bought several cheap HF and bargain hoods. I thought they worked OK. I finally broke down and purchased a nice Lincoln hood and the difference was amazing. I can see better and the flash of the arc starting was significantly dimmer in the Lincoln and the visibility was much better where the cheap hoods would darken but kind of washed out when welding. The Lincoln has much improved visibility. I will never go back to the cheap hoods again.:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have bought several cheap HF and bargain hoods. I thought they worked OK. I finally broke down and purchased a nice Lincoln hood and the difference was amazing. I can see better and the flash of the arc starting was significantly dimmer in the Lincoln and the visibility was much better where the cheap hoods would darken but kind of washed out when welding. The Lincoln has much improved visibility. I will never go back to the cheap hoods again.:cool:
HF are really a good start but I am up for a little upgrade whats your say about Miller digital series ? they are really boasting about X-mode or clear light tech is it worth it?

·
Administrator
9,767 Posts
Hi, guys I am back somehow got banned for quoting amazon link here lol.
Likely the system kicked you out because your IP address puts you in Pakistan. Majority of users from Pakistan post spam URL here at HR .. and they are booted out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts