Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring a 1966 Ford Fairlane Convertible. I have been looking at various Rotisseries and also other options. I honestly cringe at putting a convertible on a rotisserie supported at the bumper mounts like they do. I was looking at other options and came across auto tilters that mount to the hubs and roll the car on its side. I am looking for opinions what is the benefit in a rotisserie over a tilter? Also I am looking at building a tilter that mounts to the cars suspension points like the front leaf spring mount and lower a-arm mount, rather than the hubs any thoughts? To me this would be the correct support position.
Really looking for opinions and experiences that you all may have?

·
Slow but willing learner
5,116 Posts
I am restoring a 1966 Ford Fairlane Convertible. I have been looking at various Rotisseries and also other options. I honestly cringe at putting a convertible on a rotisserie supported at the bumper mounts like they do. I was looking at other options and came across auto tilters that mount to the hubs and roll the car on its side. I am looking for opinions what is the benefit in a rotisserie over a tilter? Also I am looking at building a tilter that mounts to the cars suspension points like the front leaf spring mount and lower a-arm mount, rather than the hubs any thoughts? To me this would be the correct support position.
Really looking for opinions and experiences that you all may have?
You are right to be cautious about putting a convertible on a rotisserie but I have one sitting in my basement at this very time. The body is not that heavy and if properly braced will not be damaged.

On mine, I left the doors on and welded plates along the door jams, This prevents the body from sagging and lets you maintain the door gaps where they belong. There are of course other ways of bracing it that will work also.

BTW, I bought a Derick Weaver rotisserie that had 5 inch casters, powder coating, and free shipping for about 1200 delivered to my door. I have been pleased with it and believe it will bring most of my money back when I am done with it.

John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone for the recommendation. I thought about a lift but then I would get to work overhead doing rust repair.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Thanks everyone for the recommendation. I thought about a lift but then I would get to work overhead doing rust repair.

Repairing rust OVER my head.Isn't something i will ever do again. Remember everything you enevitably will drop while welding ..........in your face it goes -been there. hth bob s

1 - 6 of 6 Posts