Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
18,633 Posts
If you wanted to do something like that, your best bet would be to find a parts car with all the pieces that you need.....pedals, linkages, flywheel, clutch, tranny, shifter etc, etc..........

·
Stroked Z28
230 Posts
If you want to do this the easy way, check out these guys: http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/Elite-Camaro-1967-81-Tremec.aspx

I highly recommend these guys. Even if you don't use them, you can get an idea of what a typical parts list will look like.

Note that if you do go with a Muncie/Borg Warner/Saginaw swap, the shifter will be moved forward from where it is today. You'll have to cut your trans tunnel and either remove or replace your center console.

Also, some long-tube headers don't play nice with the manual transmissions. On the Camaros, there are some extra braces & brackets that sometimes require some clearancing to fit some of the headers... something to think about.

You'll also need to look into if the speedo cable will work (I'm not sure).

·
Lost in the 60's
15,292 Posts
poncho62 said:
If you wanted to do something like that, your best bet would be to find a parts car with all the pieces that you need.....pedals, linkages, flywheel, clutch, tranny, shifter etc, etc..........
I did this once and I wound up having to change the gears in the rear end as the gear ratio for the automatic was higher and did not work well with the standard trans.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,015 Posts
steel dragon said:
Hey

I have a 79 t/a with an automatic transmission. I was wondering if i could change that to a manual? And where could i get something cheap? :confused:
Do you have the 400 Pontiac motor or the 403 Olds. If the Olds, you may have a problem. Most Olds cranks that went into A/T cars did not get drilled for the pilot bearing necessary for a manual trans. If that's what you have, you either need to have the crank machined (as in, tear down the engine) or use a conversion bushing that's sold by various Olds specialty vendors. The problem with the conversion bushing is that the hole in the crank isn't deep enough and you need to trim the end of the input shaft on the trans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.