Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Welcome to HR.Com Magnuman.

The "search" function on this site is a terrific tool. If you click on "search" near the top of the page and enter something like "transport" or "auto transport" you'll get the benefit of all the previous threads on this issue.

In the meantime you could try http://www.classiccartransport.com/
for starters.

Dewey

·
Registered
676 Posts
HEY MAG:

I just bought a Shay in Lynchburg Va. and it is in transit to Indianapolis area today about 600 miles. I research transport companies and found many are just brokers that look for trucks that are dead heading across the country and book your car on board for a commission. Many of these haulers are not licensed or insured to carry automobiles, so if any damage or complains they are on down the road. I talked to Hagerty Insurance and they said to use Passport Transportation which is now part of FedEx. Their rates are very competitive, they ship only in enclosed trailers and are fully insured and experienced with classic and show cars. My cost was around $700.00 which I found to be very competitive after checking around. 800-325-4267...GOOD LUCK..DAVE

·
Administrator
8,477 Posts
I called both when it came time to ship my car and able never returned my call. DAS didnt want to mess with it as it was inoperable and when they found out the brakes didnt work either they declined to offer services.
I got chris murphy at M-N-M Auto transport to pick it up. It came right to my door 8 days later, undamaged on a sunday evening, so I could unload it before work monday morning.
Several other places I called would haul it as inoperable for a couple hundred bucks extra but no one wanted to mess with it if it didnt have brakes.Hey I thought inoperable means inoperable ya know.
One other place I called In ohio said they would pick it up an wanted a deposit. After jerking me around promising to pick up and then stringing me along I finally asked for a refund of my deposit.They wasted my time for 6 weeks.
I called Big Brother Transport and cathy got me hooked up with Chris Murphy at MNM.Big Brothers is a broker only , but she did get my car picked up 6 days later by chris and It was in my driveway 1 week later on a sunday night.
Transport companies can be very decieving so be careful.

·
Adam's Auto Advice
108 Posts
Way Around the Middleman?

Dave E Shank said:
I researched transport companies and found many are just brokers that look for trucks that are dead heading across the country and book your car on board for a commission.
I'm finding this too! If you read the fine-print some of these companies don't own any trucks. Does anyone know if there is way around the "middleman?" I'd rather just talk and book with the auto transporter directly.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Go to truckertotrucker.com and throw up a message in one of the forums seeking an owner operator. Then you can talk to the driver and the owner of the coompany. Another place would be loadboard.com and etc; you might have to pay a fee at load sites. It is not uncommon to get "dead head" haul backs. If you want it cheap and right now it is gonna happen. I hauled my mustang back from chicago after hauling a 53' box up into wisconsin. I planned my trip this way and had half an empty box on the trip back. I paid a local tow company to use a roll back to load it into my trailer. And paid another when I got home. Took less than 15 minutes to load and unload. the best part was I got paid to haul my own car! The hard part was getting down the narrow golf course house roads with my big truck ;). Find an owner operator willing to work with you. I would do it for you but I'm not on the road right now.

·
Adam's Auto Advice
108 Posts
Top Load Guarantee?

I called a transport company today and the representative told me, "Nobody can truly guarantee a Top Load. Most of the time when the truck pickups your car they make sure it's put on the top, so you feel better. Then when it's delivered to you the driver will make sure the car is on the top of the truck. Due to weight restrictions and limits your car may need to be on the bottom. We won't charge for that because we can't guarantee it."

I wondering what other people think about this? Is this true or bs?

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
I have used DAS twice, once to ship, once to receive. I didn't have any problems but I also wasn't extremely impressed with them either. They play a lot of shuffling of the cars off and on the transport as it goes from state to state. They fill out a before and after report of damage, but I really don't think its very closely inspected. I would be very careful getting all the damage picked up and take some of your own pictures before the thing is loaded. Have your guy on the other end do the same.

K

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.