Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever buy a tranny from a wrecker?

Have any problems?
Anything I should know about a 4 speed Muncie that I plan on buying?
There's also a 3 speed Saginaw, I ran a four speed Saginaw, really don't want to switch shifters. Would I need to switch anything (drive shaft, shifter, ect.) if I decided to go for the 4 speed Muncie?
Any recommended books on rebuilding that Saginaw or the Muncie?

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
If you buy a used Muncie.. Make sure you get some kind of Warantee .. It is best that you remove the side cover and inspect the internals before taking it home. It seems all Muncie 4-speeds were "Just rebuilt" ...

Check that the trans doesn't leak out of the front countershaft and there is no mechanical grinding or skipping as you manually turn the input shaft. Shift the trans into each gear. Rotate and feel. Then finally shift the trans into second gear (rear side cover lever, turn to the left), remove side cover.

After you remove the side cover. Look for wear on the shift forks in the cover. Look for chipped or discolored gear teeth, metal bits in the lube. Take a flashlight and check the small teeth on the gears. They should be sharp edged and have a good point on the synchro side. The sliding collar should fit tight on the drum with little slop. Look for wear on the synchro drums. It will be obvious.

Saginaw trans linkage will not even come close to fitting a Muncie. You will have to get the correct stuff.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts