Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone ever see or better yet own one of these? Came out in the late 60s for Ford racing engines (competition for Holley 3-bbl I think). Only lasted for a couple of years. I had dreams of installing one on a 671 blower on the hemi in my Willys to look like a Hilborn 4-hole injector.

·
Registered
58 Posts
SWEET!!!!!! I seen pics of them but never in real life. Man that 427soch would look wicked in my 79 150:p. What did they set you back?

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Lusted after them for ages Willy's, I have never even seen a set in real life. :( Maybe the Duke of URL has had his hands on some at one point? I'll bet he has detailed files or knows the location of same.:) ;)

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
Beautiful design don't you think? They were issued for TRANS-AM Racing...BOSS 302 and such mainly.

They are still floating around... :thumbup:

·
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blown79 said:
SWEET!!!!!! I seen pics of them but never in real life. Man that 427soch would look wicked in my 79 150:p. What did they set you back?
Agree that is a beauty of an engine but it is just a 'plain old' OHV single cammer! SOHCs have wide hemi type valve covers w/ spark plug tubes going in the top.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
I spent almost a whole day at a Ford dealership hanging out with about 4 guys that were involved in nostalgia drag racing, one of the four cars they had on display at the dealer lot had a SOHC427 in it. I talked the guy that owned it into starting it up, even got a ride in it around the parking lot.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Willy's I ran across one back in 80 or 81 at a PFCA (Performance Ford Club of America) show when I was a member. The only application that I know of they were used on were Boss 302's for Trans Am racing but were shelved because Ford kept having trouble with the throttle response and could never get the bugs worked out of it. An awesome looking piece. If you ever run across one of these then you have found yourself a gold mine. Ghetto I used to know a guy in Michigan around the same time period that had a 427 SOHC in a 61 Starliner that would drive it from his home in Mich to the shows in Columbus, Ohio. During the years I was involved in Ford products I saw some really unusual stuff that was produced and seems at one time or another I was involved in some project with someone, everything from 289's clear up to Boss 429's but after my mom gave away my collection of cars and parts a few years ago I got away from the Blue Oval brand. Still have fond memories though of cruising in my 69 Mercury Cyclone CJ, 72 MACH 1 Cobra Jet (yes they were made based on the 351 Cleveland) and 72 Gran Torino Sport along with a 70 MACH 1. Ah the good ol' days.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
I used to know a guy in Michigan around the same time period that had a 427 SOHC in a 61 Starliner that would drive it from his home in Mich to the shows in Columbus, Ohio.
That wouldn't have been John Vermeesch would it? :)

There are a variety of intake manifolds available for race use. The most recent development from FORD race research is the Cross Boss manifold. This cross-ram type has shown exceptional breathing ability. It is designed for use with the new FORD in-line 4V carburetor.

These parts are expected to be approved by SCAA for use in Trans-Am racing and are highly recommended.. The FORD 4V in-line is offered in two throttle bore sizes, 1 11/16" (850 cfm) for Trans-Am and NASCAR and 2 1/4" (1400 cfm) for unlimited racing classes such as Formula A and modified drag.
-Off Highway Parts

·
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Grusome Goat said:
Willy's I ran across one back in 80 or 81 at a PFCA (Performance Ford Club of America) show when I was a member. The only application that I know of they were used on were Boss 302's for Trans Am racing but were shelved because Ford kept having trouble with the throttle response and could never get the bugs worked out of it. An awesome looking piece. If you ever run across one of these then you have found yourself a gold mine. Ghetto I used to know a guy in Michigan around the same time period that had a 427 SOHC in a 61 Starliner that would drive it from his home in Mich to the shows in Columbus, Ohio. During the years I was involved in Ford products I saw some really unusual stuff that was produced and seems at one time or another I was involved in some project with someone, everything from 289's clear up to Boss 429's but after my mom gave away my collection of cars and parts a few years ago I got away from the Blue Oval brand. Still have fond memories though of cruising in my 69 Mercury Cyclone CJ, 72 MACH 1 Cobra Jet (yes they were made based on the 351 Cleveland) and 72 Gran Torino Sport along with a 70 MACH 1. Ah the good ol' days.
Rumor I heard was that Ford had made some small venturi inserts and was very close to having it working @ the low end with decent throttle response when the gas crisis hit and all performance stuff died.

·
Registered
453 Posts
KULTULZ it could have been John but memory escapes me right now. Willy's during my nearly fifeteen years of involvement with the Blue Oval I ran across alot of information about Fords special projects and saw some pretty off the wall stuff and know alot of it was shelved at the end of 70 with the end of the Boss programs (302's and 429's) and with the auto companies pulling out of racing in 71. During my affiliation with the PFCA in the early eighties I was involved with several people and saw alot of things the Ford Motor Company did that no other company would do, build what you wanted as long as you had the money to pay for it. Alot of the racing stuff was either destroyed at the factory, slipped out the back door or put in a warehouse somewhere and the only company of the Big 3 to keep any production records was Pontiac. Alot of what Ford did as far as their experimantal department never made it passed there. I remember hearing about a SOHC small block based on the 289 and a DOHC 427 for the GT-40 program that never saw the light of day. Also during that time period I had some involvement in bringing the remaining the only known survivor of Mercury's Million MIle run Comets back to life along with getting to see a GT-40 firsthand and got to about every model of Cobra ever made, even one that had a factory 4 Weber setup on a 289. Government and insurance regulations had alot to do with killing off alot of projects along with rising costs of these experimental departments the used to exist in the auto companies. Ford developed the Boss 302 to combat Chevys 302 used in the now famous Z-28 and Pontiac had a 303 developed specifically for Trans Am racing and the one main thing that hurt the Boss engines was their ability to breath on the bottom end and lack of torque. Still they were an awesome piece and if memory serves me correct the inline four barrel was designed to help remedy some of the problem as far as throttle response and breathing to the Boss 302. Pontiac had the same problem on their 303's, too large of an intake port and the velocity of the intake ports in the heads wasn't suited for the small displacement engines. Just think of what we could have today if the the government and insurance companies hadn't came down so hard on the manufacturers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts