Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound a bit morbid, but who are your automotive heroes you'd like to meet before they meet their maker? A lot of these guys, pioneers in their fields, are getting up there in the years. I've met Gene Winfield, John Mazmanian, Doug Thorley, Big Daddy, probably a few more I can't think of right now. I hope to meet Grumpy Jenkins in Las Vegas in 2 weeks, I've bought a diecast of his 70 Camaro to autograph, I'd love to meet Iaccoca, his book was very interesting. I've got to rush off to work, Who are the people you'd like to meet? I'll ponder on it more at work. Dan

·
Administrator
18,426 Posts
When you meet Da Grump, take your thick skin with you............when I met him in 1980, he was one misserable S.O.B.............maybe, he has mellowed in his old age. No likely.................

I would like to meet A.J. Foyt....................a pioneer. Actually, it is said, he can get pretty mean too..............maybe, it's me.

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
Uh, Dan....... You forgot SOMEONE !! But then again, you already met ME, but still.......

Do you know ANYONE that can "tuck a buck" like me? Since it was a car oriented place we went to, that qualifies it as automotive oriented. Besides I LOVE giving those "Front End" alignments. :pimp: Gives a whole new meaning to "Tuners", too! Wagonssssssss Hoooooooooo!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
My goal was to meet all the Gasser legends. So far I have met a lot of them, let's see, Big John Mazmanian, Doug Cook, Jr. Thompson, George Montgomery, Ronnie Nunes, Barb Hamilton, Jack Coonrod, Wayne Harry, Chuck Finders, K. S. Pittman, Bones Balough, Jim Shores. Biggest regret is never meeting Ed Roth. Would like to meet John Force, mainly for my grandson's sake - he's a huge fan.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i want to meet chip foose or troy trepainer or boyd coddington my idols

:cool: :thumbup:

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
Willys,
I have quite the reputation for being a Gasser. Especially after eating Chili! :thumbup: LOL

Actually, I really don't get into meeting celebrities. I find a high percentage to be arrogant. I liked Gene Winfield, but even he was hard on his help. Maybe justifiably so, but....
I'd rather meet guys that are in the "trenches" that haven't found celebrity status. THOSE are the dudes you can learn from. Case in point, is Dutch Comstock in Herkimer NY, or Wray Schelin in Mass. These guys can make metal do whatever they want. They don't NEED expensive tools. They have them, but you should see what they can do with a tree stump, a wood hammer and broken leaf spring. Wray makes Jaguar fenders from flat sheet. NO BONDO ALLOWED. Absolutely incredible.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Only one...Smokey Yunick.

Too bad he passed away a little while ago, I would have loved to meet him and finish a big bottle in the back of the Best Damn Garage in Town.

Maybe one day I will fabricate his "Hot Air Induction System", I have managed to piece together a bunch of drawings from press releases and I think I know the secret of his system.

Might need your help Willys, how would a guy have a special fuel distilled? Nothing fancy just a modification of regular gasoline, sorry no more details!:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
i've met most of the drag racers on circuit now at some time or other. if shaking hands and telling them hello counts.

I'd like to meet the guys Jeff talked about. maybe next year.
anyone who does it theirself has hero status to me. I guess that means most of you guys.

What ever happened to Raymond Beadle?

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
1,642 Posts
I met Smokey Yunick once. He was sooo old though, he looked too tired to talk.

I would have liked to have met Rudolph Diesel, I am friends with a direct descendent of him.

John Force, of course, a nice guy and fan-friendly.

Dale Earnhardt, the last of a breed.

Fireball Roberts-Died before his time

Zora Arkus Duntov-famed Corvette gearhead

Bobby Isaacs, before Nascar was P.C.

Jungle Jim

My cousin met Big Daddy Don Garlits and said he was an absolute butt hole.
So he is no longer on my list.

Tom Hoover---Father of the Hemi!!!

Ronnie Sox ---- Mr. Four-Speed!!

To Name a Few

John Milner and Bob Falfa if they were real.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
I only wished to meet two and there both deceased.
Smokey Yunick and Zora Arkus Duntov.
Chucky, I have a I believe 1984 Issue of Hot Rod were Smokey`s hot vapour fiero has a big write up on it, great article.
I loved Smokey`s mottos:
"Never lift and hope it lives"
"If the rules don`t say something is illegal, I must assume it`s legal"
"don`t wear out a bunch of expensive parts when your just learning the ropes"

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
My son has been invited back in John Forces pit three years running.We have a method of grabbing attention and it works real well for autographs and conversation.This year at Indy he met,John Force(3rd time),Gary Deansham,Scotty Cannon,Angele,Andrew Hines,Last year he met Doug Kallita,Kenny Bernstein,and several others.For a 6 year old he has alot of autographs and memories.I met Big Daddy and he did not come offf bad towards me.Might have had a bad day though!

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
NAIRB said:
I would have liked to have met Rudolph Diesel, I am friends with a direct descendent of him.
Does he ever talk about his mysterious death?

I have a small desire to meet anyone famous, I don't know what I would say to them, except tell them how great I think they are, which they are probably tired of hearing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
george barris, gene winfeild, jesse james,Big Daddy Roth (god bless his soul), eddie paul (built alot of cars for the movie "Grease"), hmm i know more but i cant think of 'em.

Iv'e met Bo Huff, but i dont consider his as great as i thought, and I've met Tony Plankenship (probably none of you know him , but i beleive he'll get bigger) he used to work for Bo Huff, but know he runs a joint partnership shop 'Kustom Alley' (where i work :thumbup: ) and Ol' Skool Rodz will run a article on them soon.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Carroll Shelby, Dan Gurney, Keith Duckworth, Kevin Cameron, Erv Kanemoto, Kenny Roberts, Wayne Rainey, Don Garlits, Fuzzy Carter, Warren Johnson, Pat Musi........... the list is long and diverse.

Larry

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
DoubleVision said:
I only wished to meet two and there both deceased.
Smokey Yunick and Zora Arkus Duntov.
Chucky, I have a I believe 1984 Issue of Hot Rod were Smokey`s hot vapour fiero has a big write up on it, great article.
I loved Smokey`s mottos:
"Never lift and hope it lives"
"If the rules don`t say something is illegal, I must assume it`s legal"
"don`t wear out a bunch of expensive parts when your just learning the ropes"
If you ever get a chance to scan that article could you post it here Double? My copy was destroyed years ago and although there weren't any plans in the issue, the engine compartment photos are worth it alone.;)

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
I've met Gary Scelzi. We were at Gainseville and he sat at our table with us for dinner on Friday night. The guy is an absolute RIOT. But then at Maple Grove he went out first round and was kind of a jerk to a bunch of people. They were screaming for him, like they do for everyone wanting autographs, so it could be justified. I wouldn't want everyone screaming for ME all the time. Thats for sure. Angelle was a real biotch at Gainsville. That was in the morning before the races even started. No reason, for what I could see. PMS? I met Garlits when I was 12. He was pretty awesome. Took a lot of time with the kids.
Ray Evernham was pretty cool to talk to. SMART ! Pretty patient with the public, too.
Alec, Billy Baldwin are my buddies cousin. They get mobbed everywhere they go. We went to play pool, and I busted Billys nuts harder than ANYONE. He had a ball. He candidly said it hard to remember what a real person feels like. I told him he wasn't feeling me , so just forget it! He spit his beer out and just about choked! Had to be there! :D
I've met alot of "greats" in passing,you know the handshake and leave deal. It really doesn't do anything for me though. I think it serves to pump up egos.
NOW, if they can teach/show me something.......Then I consider them a GREAT !

1 - 20 of 30 Posts