Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Just one of the guys
Joined
·
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what made me think of this but I thought I would post it again if I haven't in the past.

If you have a remote starter on your vehicle AND you have a garage you keep it in AND you have small children, DO NOT let the keys lay where the kids have access to them. In the past there has been a couple of incidents where a child has played with the keys and started the vehicle while it was in an attached garage. Carbon Monoxide poisoning :( And with a lot of the newer vehicles, you cannot hear them run. So please be cautious.

Kevin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
I'm really good at inventing stuff that's already out on the market, but your post got me thinking about something. How about a Carbon Monoxide detector either built into an automatic garage door opener, or an accessory Carbon Monoxide detector that can be added to one? Basically, if the CO levels get to a certain point, the big door automatically opens, thus venting the garage of the dangerous fumes. The sensor could also send a signal to a remote unit in the house, warning the occupants that it has gone off and the door is open, so that they could go out and shut off the car. An auxiliary fan could also be turned on with this same sensor, helping to vent the garage even faster.

Sounds like a great idea to me, and the technology is certainly already out there.

Somebody else has probably already thought about it, and it's probably been on the market for like 10 years, but who knows? Maybe not. Maybe someone on this forum is in the position to take this idea and run with it. If so, feel free to do so.

Even easier is to just keep track of your car keys, and keep them out of reach of kids - it's all about safety. Still, I think the CO sensor would be a great idea, because there's a lot more in the garage that can cause CO poisoning than just the car.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top